Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise at 1500rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default noise at 1500rpm

Hey Guys,

My car started making a noise yesterday that has me concerned. I will take it to the ford dealer today if they have space, but I wanted to see what you guys thought in the hopes of having some idea of what to expect when I go.

2006 v6 Mustang - everything original, no mods - 117k miles

Once I get to 1500rpms it sounds like something is rattling back and forth, almost like it is rattling around inside a metal box. By the time I get to 2000rpms the sound disappears (or the car is too loud to hear it). It appears the noise is coming from underneath the car, around the area where we sit in the car. I can cause the sound at the same rpms while in neutral, so that leads me to believe its not the transmission, but rather something has come loose and the 1500-2000 rpm range is its happy place to make sounds loud enough for me to hear.

My acceleration doesn't seem to be effected, the car doesn't shift hard, nothing seems out of the ordinary except the sound.

Thank you for your input.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:28 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Does the V6 have a metal separator plate between the engine and transmission? That's what was making a weird ringing noise on my car only at a certain RPM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:33 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Does the V6 have a metal separator plate between the engine and transmission? That's what was making a weird ringing noise on my car only at a certain RPM.
Not sure, I haven't been able to get under the car to look. What was the cost to fix that? And do you know what made it come loose?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

No cost to fix and the reason it was rattling was because a big piece of it was below below the lowest bellhousing bolt on the engine but had nothing else to hold it in place, so it would vibrate and make a metallic ringing noise. There were two threaded holes in the bottom of the bellhousing, so I put holes through a couple pieces of 1/4" thick rubber I had laying around, wedged them between the plate and bellhousing and put the bolts in. Hasn't made any noise since.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

This TSB came to mind. Might be worth looking into. TSB 08-03-04

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-03-04.pdf
Old 04-06-2016, 08:32 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rls82959
This TSB came to mind. Might be worth looking into. TSB 08-03-04

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-03-04.pdf
Is this like a recall? If this is the issue, would I still be charged for the work since it appears to be the fault of Ford?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If you haven't replace all of the rubber exhaust hangers, you might as well get a handful of them and get started, lol. I replaced all of mine twice. I still have a few in my tool chest, hope they will fit my 2012 when they start crapping out.
I wouldn't rule out the serpentine belt, it's easy to see if it's worn or frayed.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
If you haven't replace all of the rubber exhaust hangers, you might as well get a handful of them and get started, lol. I replaced all of mine twice. I still have a few in my tool chest, hope they will fit my 2012 when they start crapping out.
I wouldn't rule out the serpentine belt, it's easy to see if it's worn or frayed.
Is it easy to replace those? Do you have a link so I can see what they look like?

The belt would make a clunking/rattling sound? I would expect that to be more of whine or high pitch screeching sound.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Oh have seen those on my wife's grand prix. But aren't the hangers in the back, basically holding up the tips?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I think there are 3 or 4 on the single exhaust, one at the tip, one on the front and the rear of the muffler.
Since there is no flex coupler in our exhaust, the engine vibration and movement is sent directly to the entire exhaust system. Every time you hit the gas, the engine rocks a little and this goes through the entire exhaust system. These rubber mounts get a lot of abuse. They look a little like a figure 8, there is a tool to remove them or you can lube them up with dish soap and pry them off and on. Oil (WD-40) eats them up (IMHO) and should not be used.

Quick Reply: noise at 1500rpm