Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 AM
08hybridok

Default Need buying advise

So I'm torn; I've got 5k burning a hole in my pocket. I can't decide do I go practical and get something like an Escape so my kid can steal it when going off to college in a couple of years, or do I treat myself, and may let the kids ride in it, and get a Mustang convertible??!!!???

So I'd have to add a little to my $5k budget; but I've seen some 'stangs on CL for about $6k.

So what's the good/bad/ugly in this date range? I really fell in love with the light blue I've seen; but there are ton's of silver & red's out there.
I'd like a light blue, leather, auto(not my choice), fog lights & spoiler; that I know of. What other features/options are there?

What to look for when I find one? What's prone to breaking? (it should be a OK/TX location car, so hopefully no rust)

And whats the pros/cons of owning a convertible? harder to heat/cool, more road/wind noise? Is a glass rear window an option/mod?

??????????????
Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM
08hybridok

I've seen ads that say base, deluxe & premium; but I can't really tell the difference in options.

How hard to add the fog lights to this one?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2680/overview/
Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Usually premium will have leather seats, better stereo, etc.

Best of luck buying one.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I've seen ads that say base, deluxe & premium; but I can't really tell the difference in options.

How hard to add the fog lights to this one?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2680/overview/
Fog lights aren't hard to add at all. AM has a complete kit including switch and wiring to put them in. As for the car listen to it very well high mileage 4.0s tend to have timing chain issues. I came from the ranger world and let me tell you the rear chain is a bear. Pretty much requires removing the engine to repair. Make darn sure it's ok before buying.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM
08hybridok

So I got excited about this one
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5429/overview/

it's about 2.5hrs away. Asked for more pics, esp the top since none in the ad.
I got these:

I've seen other similar years similar prices look better. So does that mean they might have hidden/mechanical issues, or is this overpriced?

These are the cosmetic issues with the vehicle:

-Top has no tears or rips, however, the back glass is somewhat dislodged from the top allowing for some seepage
-Both door panels need lining reinstalled
-One larger ding on passenger door
-There is only one small spot on the leather upholstery on the passenger side

This car is NADA average retailed at $8425. The estimated costs to fix all of these issues, if one chose to fix them, is between $1000-$1700--$500 for top (part only) or $1200 top installed, $250 for door panels, $250 for ding in the door. This still leaves the $6500 cash price below average retail.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:17 PM
08hybridok

If not DIY, where do you go to get a top replaced?
Old 04-08-2016, 03:44 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Most full service upholstery shops can do them. I'd shop around your area. I wouldn't recommend a DIY top if you have never done one. It's really a fine art to get it to lay just right and stay tight without leaking. Also depending how damaged the surrounding material is they may be able to just replace the window portion of the top. For the debt if the paint is good then they may be able to do a pointless repair most of those are around $80.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM
08hybridok

Thoughts on this one:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1664/overview/

It's 08, tan leather seats, but black top. Is that normal, or most likely a replaced top?

Does the price reflect mileage & dents accurate, or is there still some negotiating room?

Looks like it started as a rental in Hawaii, then sold at auction in Arkansas & Missouri (long distance from start!)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:35 AM
08hybridok

Can;t find the edit button.
So I see this one does not have the 'Mustang' strip below the door; but almost every 06/06 I've seen does. Did this change in 08, or does it mean its a basic model?

The description says shaker 500 audio system (I assume that's an upgrade/premium option) but then again it says cloth seats & they look leather to me)
Old 04-10-2016, 12:06 PM
JimC

The "Mustang" stripe on the side was part of the premium package. So this one is not a premium package (that would be the pony package and it has the small fog lights in the grille).

The Shaker 500 is the upgraded system. The interior looks to be leather, and it is the upgraded interior looking at the dash. So this car has more than a base car but not the full upgrade.

The wheels are aftermarket wheels. The side bumper strip confirms the rental fleet status.