Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified 07 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 PM
DeathAdderStang

Angry Modified 07 Mustang GT

So I need some help asap!!!!!! My baby has been in and out of the shop for about 7 months now. start of my trouble, I had the stock 4.6 pulled to have it stroked out to a 5.0 with p1 procharger right.. A month later the car was ready to go to the dyno shop. The car sounded healthy and strong with no issues! while it was on the dyno I noticed there was some oil coming from the right front of the engine block. while still a the tuneer I had already contacted the engine builder to set up a day to drop off the car so he could take a look. I drove the car to his shop, I never drove car "wild" I wanted to make sure the engine was for sure broke in before I started to have my fun lol! Okay so three weeks later the shop calls me to tell me the oil leak is fixed, I ask where it was coming from they found that it was coming from the cam chain cover easy fix right....? Then He goes to tell m the car wont start!!!! He was fast to say that the guy who tuned the car was the one to blame... I was so pissed off bc I DROVE the car to his shop with no issues, well I had the picked up and sent back to the tuner bc I trust them. Ok still with me? couple moths down the road the tune shop calls and tells me the have the car running but it is running super rough not drive worthy, they saw a code showing TB along with safe mode? I didn't want them to tear into it bc it would have cost me $$$$. So again I had the engine guy head to the tune shop to pick up the car to give him the chance to make this right. Ok so here I am today, I called the engine guy. He goes on to tell me, they found the PCM is fried do to the TB forcing to much fuel making it to rich which fried the PCM???? I not any type of car tech but I do know no my way around a car and I can do research. I found that if a PCM is to fail its normally do the a over voltage or a sort some where.......

Also just note that the car has been running the P1 with the same tune for about five years now with the same TB which is aftermarket BBK..

Do any of yall have any solid input or ideas?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:11 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

I'm no expert either but I can't see any way extra fuel can cause a PCM to fail unless somehow the throttle body shorted and back fed the PCM. His story just doesn't add up. I've been working on cars for years and never fried a PCM and I've done some boneheaded thins with the battery still hooked up. Including shorting the starter to the block. The only thing I can think of would be they failed to unplug the battery when resealing the engine cover and possibly shorted a connector somewhere. I would push the engine builder to cover the cost of the PCM. But it will be a hard fight since you will not likely be able to prove anything. It's essentially a he said she said if they refuse to fix it.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:12 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Timing cover*
Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would probably get a different throttle body too. Those BBK units are notorious for failing and not operating properly.

Second thing is this is why one shop should be used for the entire thing.

Also, the engine bullet doesn't know what the he'll he is talking about.

If the engine passes a compression test and the cams are set up correctly, you most likely have a tuner issue or other issue.

Diagnosis needs to be done with as to why it's not working. The engine builders explanation is idiotic.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:38 PM
DeathAdderStang

Thanks guys! Yeah I didn't think that a TB could just force to much fuel that would cause any type a failure. I am hoping the TB did short out some way or some how.... My tuner here in Texas is HPP. the owner Manny who is known for his magic on a dyno, for years has been telling me to trash that BBK lol! So I have a new Ford racing stock TB. So right now I am waiting to here back from the engine builder on when the new pcm gets in, I am just praying this fixes the problem bc I miss my baby ha! I am going to try my best to get the builder to foot the bill. I mean what I think I have to lean on is the fact that I had drove the car to the mans shop so that the oil leak could be fixed. lol YES the timing cover*****! that was my bad.. I appreciate the input guys keep it coming please! I will keep this updated as ifind out.