Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Keyless Remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:43 AM
DLL66

Default Key and Keyless Remote

I just bought my 2009 GT/CS today. It only came with 1 key. I asked the dealer if it had a spare and a keyless remote. He told me they only received 1 key for the car. I figured in the 21st Century, that cars came standard with keyless entry? Did the car only came with 1 key from the factory?
Old 04-16-2016, 07:00 AM
JimC

No, the previous owner lost the key or never gave it to the dealer. The only way to get a new key is to have one done at the dealer. You need 2 working keys to program a key. Once you have your second key, you can get a new key and program it yourself so you always have 2 available.

Remote key fobs are easy to program. You can buy that and do it yourself. The instructions are in the manual.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I'm afraid to ask how much it costs to get a second key made. We bought ours used and it also has just 1 key. Anybody know how much the stealership will rape you for a second key?
Old 04-16-2016, 12:18 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

I bought one for my ranger a few years back and it was $111. They can clone them at some locksmiths for cheaper but you still can't make more yourself because the two keys will have the same code. Also when you do it at the dealer you can have them delete the old key out that way if someone still has it it won't start your car anymore.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:04 PM
JimC

When I had to get a replacement key for my 2006 the dealer charged me $110. That was the key and programming.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:05 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
Also when you do it at the dealer you can have them delete the old key out that way if someone still has it it won't start your car anymore.
Actually when you program new keys it deletes any key that isn't present and programmed at that time. So a lost key is automatically disabled and the car won't recognize it.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:44 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Actually when you program new keys it deletes any key that isn't present and programmed at that time. So a lost key is automatically disabled and the car won't recognize it.
His point was that a "cloned" key would not be doing any programming to the car, therefore the old key would still be valid.

I think I was charged $120 from my dealership when I bought a used F150 that only had 1 key.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:16 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by danzcool
His point was that a "cloned" key would not be doing any programming to the car, therefore the old key would still be valid.

I think I was charged $120 from my dealership when I bought a used F150 that only had 1 key.
But it is simple. Once you have 2 keys, you follow the procedure in the owner manual and it will reprogram your 2 good keys and deprogram the lost key. And if you get the third key, which should be done, program the 3 keys and the lost key is no good.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Having a third key is an excellent idea. After you have two keys that will start the car, you can either have the dealer cut and program the third key, or you can go to a locksmith and have him or her cut the third key. As stated, you can program it yourself.

Suggestion--If you decide to program the third key yourself, make sure that the key fits the ignition switch with the key inserted in either direction. Insert the key and turn the key to the "on" position with the key in both directions. It won't start the engine at that point, but you can tell if the key is cut properly. After you're satisfied that it is mechanically okay, then follow the programming steps in the Owner's Guide.

Further suggestion: Mark the key you now have in some manner, so you can tell which key you now have and which is the second key. Use the first key for having someone cut the third key. When you make a copy of a copy, you're less likely to get a key that is okay mechanically.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:30 PM
DLL66

Originally Posted by ucinn
I'm afraid to ask how much it costs to get a second key made. We bought ours used and it also has just 1 key. Anybody know how much the stealership will rape you for a second key?

$90 at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Key and Keyless Remote