Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Seal1991

Default 2006 Mustang Overheating

Hello,

I'm new to these forums so I apologize if I have placed this thread in the wrong location. I figured I may be able to get some help here. I own a 2006 Ford Mustang V6. Since purchasing her back in 2008 she has been a reliable and solid vehicle, no major issues whatsoever. I was driving down the street yesterday when I head light "thud/pop" noise. It was certainly odd and got my attention but didn't sound like anything major. I checked my gauges and didn't notice anything wrong with the car. I figured it must of come from the outside surrounding. About 5 minutes later my engine began seriously overheating. The needle was all the way in the red and the warning light was on. I pulled over and popped the hood. I could see some sort of steam/smoke coming from the engine and smelled a gross smell. There was a hissing sound coming from the engine, as if some pressure was being released. I noticed spats of fluid all over the place, I assume it's coolant. Anyone have any clue what might of happened?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:02 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

probably the plastic thermostat housing gave out. There is a metal replacement on amazon.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:55 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If you send an email to simmonsautosportz@yahoo.com and tell him you are on a forum and your forum id he will give you a discount. The price for the aluminum thermostat is $149.00.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

before you just throw parts at it, CHECK WHAT POPPED FIRST. You need to fill it back up with coolant. Look for leaks. If none are seen, start the car and let it run until you do see it leak. Your question will be answered by one of those two steps.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Also like said before fill up and check for leaks.plastic end caps on radiator have been known to blow out as well as the thermostat housing if the thermostat gets stuck in closed position and restricts water flow there for causing overheating. Had a similar problem on my old Ford probe gt.also check for proper function of water pump and leaks.check all radiator and heater hoses as they can make a sound if they wear and pop when the engine is hot.but defiantly agree with above post and don't spend money until you know what the problem is and part needed for the repair.also if your not mechanically inclined take it to a local trust worthy shop. Have it towed of course.good luck and hope all above info helps.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Sgkukov

Hey guys don't mean to thread jack but i have a somewhat related question. I just bought my 2010 in April. The PO provided reciepts showing a thermostat housing install and coolant flush.

The coolant is now Green. I thought the Ford stuff should be yellow/orangish?

I've been told its no problem if they used different coolant as long as its all one type.

What is the green type? Could it be different types of green?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 AM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

Well I have a 2007 GT/CS that I bought new and it came with the new style coolant.wound say in pretty good certainty that's what came in 2010. As far as the green coolant it's what came in older vehicles.if it were me I would have it drained and be sure that which ever coolant you went back with was mixed with distilled water,that way it's got verry little chance of causing corrosion of any kind.with distilled water all the elements have removed such as iron,calcium,exc...so the chances of corrosion and build up is minimal.personally I would go with original coolant and even add some anti corrosion additive.but if the green coolant is safe do the same as above with distilled water and additive.be sure you get 100% coolant and none of that 50/50 mixed crap because it's probly mixed with hose water from factory.people just don't think but things usually don't corrode without the other elements introduced to them in the water.FYI also Google the new style cool and that contains no water at all.it is a complete flush kit,test kit - so you know all water is removed and the new coolant that has absolutely no water and never has to be changed.boiling point is way higher,want evaporate and has no corrosive elements and has a built in water pump lubrication.sounds to good to be true.lol! when I have time my STANG and BRONCO are both getting new style water less coolant.Hope this helps!