Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intakes? Don't think so.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:35 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I think 3HP is within the margin of error. I'm definitely going back to the stock airbox, last night I took out the sparkplugs and cleaned the intake, and the tube was covered in soot, so those cone filters let too much dust through. That, and I used a borescope to look at the pistons and they are totally covered in carbon, but I opened another thread about that.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by flash_xx
I think 3HP is within the margin of error. I'm definitely going back to the stock airbox, last night I took out the sparkplugs and cleaned the intake, and the tube was covered in soot, so those cone filters let too much dust through. That, and I used a borescope to look at the pistons and they are totally covered in carbon, but I opened another thread about that.
Unless you took a borescope to look at the pistons both BEFORE and AFTER you installed the CAI you are looking at linking the symptom to the incorrect cause.

Carboned pistons is usually because of your PCV system allowing oil from the valve covers to get sucked back into the intake.

Also, there will be some dirt that will get past any filter. To have one that is too fine of a filter will make it prone to getting easily clogged thus requiring changing more frequently.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:30 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I am interested in this thread. I have noticed that after driving across town and parking at home that my engine bay is much hotter than i would like. I have a K&N "CAI" with the plastic air tube leading to the throttle body. If I drive across town about 12 miles from work without gunning it or doing anything crazy and park at home, open the hood, and place my hand on the plastic air inlet tube, i cant keep my hand on it for more than a couple seconds. It is hot. I dont like having my car pull that hot air. The gauge reads normal and the coolant is good but i still wish i could do better. My f150 has the snorkel for the intake going through the fender which is great. I would like to somehow do that with the mustang and maybe wrap the intake tube with some metallic blanket to slow down or minimize heat transfer.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Just a thought on filters. Don't you think that if K&N type filters made more power and increased performance and mileage the car companies would use them? I have used K&Ns in the past and never noticed any benefit. K&N filters are great for racing engines, but these engines are not trying to get 200K miles between overhauls, they get torn down every race or two so how well the filters work isn't a big concern I have also read articles that said these type of filters let more fine dirt to pass through than paper filters. I went back to paper filters and am convinced they are the best for the engine. Just my $.02 worth.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 07-15-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:16 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

You needn't have any fear about a K&N type filter letting too much dirt get past it. I've been running one on my Jeep for the last 20 years and 200+k miles with no issues, and the engine runs like a top. Just change the engine oil at the proper intervals and you'll be fine.
I'd also recommend deleting the PCV pipes and running catch cans with breather filters on both valve covers. That'll prevent oil vapors from entering the intake system and gumming up the intake valves.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
You needn't have any fear about a K&N type filter letting too much dirt get past it. I've been running one on my Jeep for the last 20 years and 200+k miles with no issues, and the engine runs like a top. Just change the engine oil at the proper intervals and you'll be fine.
I'd also recommend deleting the PCV pipes and running catch cans with breather filters on both valve covers. That'll prevent oil vapors from entering the intake system and gumming up the intake valves.
Although I disagree with you about the K&N filter, I agree 100% about the catch can. I have read you only need one on the drivers side, that's what I run. I have used both the JLT and the UPR cans, the UPR can is much better-catches probably twice as much oil as the JLT can did. I empty mine every 2500 miles and it is usually about half full.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:25 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't the CAI really show its benefit on a moving vehicle as opposed to a dyno?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
Wouldn't the CAI really show its benefit on a moving vehicle as opposed to a dyno?
They're not ram air
Old 07-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
More on a moving car as opposed to a stationary. Most CAI require air to be moving to actually work. So a CAI can actually hurt HP and Torque numbers on a Dyno after it becomes heat soaked.

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
They're not ram air
My car has a hole going to the front next to the radiator behind the grille, might not be Ram air but I am still running 2 to 3 degrees below ambient temp compared to the temp sensor lower to the ground behind the bumper.
Mine also seals up pretty good to the hood.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:36 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Although I disagree with you about the K&N filter, I agree 100% about the catch can. I have read you only need one on the drivers side, that's what I run. I have used both the JLT and the UPR cans, the UPR can is much better-catches probably twice as much oil as the JLT can did. I empty mine every 2500 miles and it is usually about half full.
Well it's a simple choice between having an aftermarket filter that you can clean and re-oil (unless it's a dry version) or a paper filter that you'll need to change at certain intervals (very frequently if you live in a dusty environment).
I wonder if anyone's ever thought of using a K&N panel filter to replace the paper cabin air filter.

A catch can on the passenger side is also beneficial as this will prevent oil vapors from contaminating the throttle body and causing idle issues. I made my own.

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes? Don't think so.