Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon build-up in pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Carbon build-up in pistons

Ok, so I'm guessing everyone has seen those youtube videos where they show an endoscope being inserted into the cylinders to check for carbon. Well, I decided to do that yesterday and now have a depression. You literally can't see the pistons in my car, they are totally covered in carbon, complete black corrugated and flaked carbon, I could not find a single piston where I could actually see the metal underneath.

My car does not use oil, compression is good and even. Besides adding a catch can, is there any way to clean them up a bit? I don't believe in miracle cures like seafoam, but there must be products out there that actually help. Gas here is horrible but I try to get the best one and mix it with 100 octane gas to reach the 93 octane my tune requires. I've never put techron or any of those additives, so I don't know if they do anything.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you use a high quality gas like chevron or shell, they already have cleaning agents in them. Unless you do a direct intake service using a concentrated form of the cleaning agent (not going into the gas tank) you are wasting your money.

The carbon buildup is from the oil that is being sucked into the intake from the PCV system. You'll want a good catch can to get rid of most of the oil that is otherwise getting sucked in.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:28 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Yes, buying a catch can right now.Also, I'm in the third world here, ALL our gas sucks. Short of buying VP race fuel I'm pretty much screwed. They sell 100 octane fuel (supposedly) but considering how expensive it is I usually just add toluene to the normal gas which is aprox. 88 octane to raise it to 93. That or mix 100 octane with 88 octane to try to get 93.

I posted a picture a while ago of the fuel that came out of my filter with less than 10,000 miles in the car, here it is again so you can see what I have to deal with:

Name:  IMG-20111230-WA0002.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20111230-WA0001.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  IMG-20111230-WA0000.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  20111230_180202.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  99.0 KB

Last edited by flash_xx; 06-03-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Tune for 87 octane.....add a catch can if you wish and stop playing with poor quality fuel and adding "octane boosting" additives!!

Do you ever run it hard enough to burn built-up carbon off the pistons??

Last edited by Coosawjack; 06-04-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:39 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
Tune for 87 octane.....add a catch can if you wish and stop playing with poor quality fuel and adding "octane boosting" additives!!

Do you ever run it hard enough to burn built-up carbon of the pistons??
Look at my sig and tell me what you think
Old 06-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Look at my sig and tell me what you think
Does that photo mean you run it at a track??

If you run it hard and still have a lot of carbon built up then I'm not sure why except for very poor fuel??

Seafoam run through the intake will remove most of it....give it a whirl!!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:16 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I ran the Seafoam through it, I ordered some new plugs so I'll look again when I replace them.

I do track the car at least 5 times a year, also do drag racing and it's my daily driver (and trust me, I do not drive like a granny).

One question though, could aging coils cause carbon build-up? The car is not throwing any codes, but then again it wasn't throwing any codes with the oxygen sensors and it improved considerably when I had them replaced.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

In my experience coils either work or not.......but weak spark would cause incomplete combustion and could give you significant carbon buildup!!

Not sure if any aftermarket coils are better than OEM??

BTW, do you have an aftermarket tune??
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
In my experience coils either work or not.......but weak spark would cause incomplete combustion and could give you significant carbon buildup!!

Not sure if any aftermarket coils are better than OEM??

BTW, do you have an aftermarket tune??
Don't waste money on aftermarket coils. None seem to be as good as the OEM Ford ones. This seems to be true for the Mustang and several other models.

If you drive the car hard (on a track) i would definitely get a Catch can. At the constant high RPM you're running at it's sucking that much more oil into your intake from high velocity air.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:35 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I'm running a Brenspeed 93 tune at the track and an 89 tune on the street. Catch cans have already been ordered as well as a new set of oem sparkplugs. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Carbon build-up in pistons