Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon build-up in pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Regarding Techron additive. As we know it is part of the Chevron gas you put in your car.

I was part of the BMW world for many years. For awhile BMW was selling straight Techron as an additive at the parts counter. They stopped, when the Techron did not find anything to dine on in your engine, it ate your engine instead.

Same theory as having leaded gas in the old days, and needing something to eat the lead off your valves or it would pile up. The BMW Club would get us "tech sessions" of one type or another. One was with Chevron Oil, they had charts, figures, and such, ever wonder why we don't replace exhaust systems to much anymore? Why a "Muffler Shop" is hard to come by these days? FWIW
Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
ever wonder why we don't replace exhaust systems to much anymore? Why a "Muffler Shop" is hard to come by these days? FWIW
the better quality metal that is used to construct the exhaust systems now is the reason for the lack of failures.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I used techron in my previous cars, never really noticed a difference. I plan on having the injectors cleaned at a shop, those things you put in the fuel tank never work. I'm also going to buy a wideband O2 sensor to make sure tune isn't too rich. Which brand works best? I've never bought one before.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here's what I was talking about...an Induction Service. This type of service is making a come back because of the carbon build-up on the valves of DI engines but, they also serve to help clean out crap from within the cylinders. When done correctly and used as appropriate they are legitimate.

The problem is, a lot of shady shops recommend this service to boost the bottom line. Some of you may have been exposed to the BS and not even known it.

What they do is they'll show you a dirty cotton swab and say that they took a swab of your intake or throttle body and this was the result. It needs to be cleaned because it can give you poor MPG, loss of power, and hesitation.

The average schmo will fall for it because who doesn't want better mpg, more power, or less hesitation?

In the end, if you're lucky, they actually do perform the service but you'll see few if any benefits because you didn't actually need it. At worst, they simply use some cleaner and spray down your intake and TB and call it good.

Most shops that have a car wash associated with them pull this kind of crap. You know the ones...where they have guys running around trying to fix your windshield of every nick or rock chip?
Old 06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

That's the service I'll have done to the car, it works well and I know the shop owner. I thought about buying the kit but honestly, it's just cheaper to take it to a shop. I mean, how many times am I going to clean the injectors?

If they weren't so expensive I'd just swap all of them with new ones, but apparently Ford injectors are made of unobtanium and priced acccordingly.

I've seen those calibrated sets advertised for a gazillion dollars but how do you check if they truly are calibrated? Plus, with time I've grown weary of "performance" parts. Even my clutch which finally gave out I replaced with an oem one.

Next week I'll take the car for a dyno session and check the fuel curve, car might be running rich.