Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are parts a problem for 2014 GT?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Default Why are parts a problem for 2014 GT?

I have been waiting over a year for a new hood and now waiting since June 30 for a fan motor for heater/AC. Not to mention the air bag thing. What is the deal with Ford not supporting a 2014? All this supposedly covered by warranty, by the way...
Old 07-26-2016, 02:37 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

can't speak to the hood thing, but as for the fan motor it's likely that it's such an uncommon failure that there are no service parts in the distribution chain. Dealers only stock commonly-sold service parts (usually consumables like oil filters and wear items like brakes.) The service parts distribution center warehouses most service parts. typically a parts order takes a day, maybe 2 for shipping. but if a part (like your fan motor) is a very low failure rate item, the warehouse probably doesn't have any and the wait is for the supplier to pull a part from production inventory and ship it. When the catalytic converter on my Ranger failed, it took about a month for them to get it.

as for the airbag, they're prioritizing older cars because the risk of degraded propellant is much higher. Your car is too new to be at much risk.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jhawkr
I have been waiting over a year for a new hood and now waiting since June 30 for a fan motor for heater/AC. Not to mention the air bag thing. What is the deal with Ford not supporting a 2014? All this supposedly covered by warranty, by the way...
For the air bags, it's not a ford thing, it's an EVERY MFG thing so Takada has been having problems making them fast enough and in high enough volume to replace all of the recalled air bags...which by the way is into the MILLIONS! It's not just ford waiting, it's BMW, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, etc... they all have to wait.

A new hood should already be available for your car, why is it a warranty thing? As for the AC fan, as JZ mentioned, it's probably not a common part. Did the dealer give you an ETA? Is it a recalled part? That will extend the wait time as they try to replace existing stock with the new revised part/stock.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

A new hood should already be available for your car, why is it a warranty thing?
corrosion.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Hood: Corrosion 2 years into warranty. Dealer told me Ford pulled all the stock last year. Ticket for replacement is still open. Dealer says Ford shows hoods now available but none of the depots show stock. The fan motor was supposed to be a few days and has turned into almost a month. When Ford elected to put a Takada airbag on my Mustang, it became a "Ford thing". But I do understand that one. Waiting a year + for a hood that should have not corroded and the wait for the fan motor that is dying @ 3 yrs, not so much. I don't think it is an uncommon failure either. My 2010 GT fan motor failed at about 2 years too. They had it fixed next day.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jhawkr
Hood: Corrosion 2 years into warranty. Dealer told me Ford pulled all the stock last year. Ticket for replacement is still open. Dealer says Ford shows hoods now available but none of the depots show stock. The fan motor was supposed to be a few days and has turned into almost a month. When Ford elected to put a Takada airbag on my Mustang, it became a "Ford thing". But I do understand that one. Waiting a year + for a hood that should have not corroded and the wait for the fan motor that is dying @ 3 yrs, not so much. I don't think it is an uncommon failure either. My 2010 GT fan motor failed at about 2 years too. They had it fixed next day.
Ahh, gotcha on the hood thing. sorry to hear about that one. That sucks :/ Having to pull all of their old stock and replace it with new stock I can see that causing a back log but still, over a year IS ridiculous. Maybe contact the regional Ford Rep or better yet, check with Deisha on the forums here. She can look into it from Ford's side to see what the hold up is?

The blower motor, that sucks too but it happens, it's why they have a warranty to begin with. Again, Deisha can check that out for you.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

is it the actual fan motor or the blend door actuator? I know the blend door thing is a fairly common failure.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 PM
ATRAIS

I definitely think that the airbag thing is really stupid but you can't really blame Ford for that. Makes me want to take my airbag out completely, though, until they can install the updated part. Scary
Old 07-29-2016, 09:52 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Ford only stocks weird stuff when they are known problems. I had a new 81 Mustang with a straight 6. It kept breaking the poorly machined aluminum power steering pump bracket. Ford always had one in stock. I finally had a welder reinforce mine and no more problems.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:54 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

It's definitely a fan motor or more specifically, the fan motor bearing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are parts a problem for 2014 GT?