Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum - Speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 PM
julieyankfan

Question New to forum - Speedometer problem

Hi everyone! I have my second Mustang, a 2013 for over a year now. Last August, the dealer had to replace the instrument cluster due to a problem with the gas gauge. I just noticed yesterday that the speedometer never goes back down to 0 mph; it always stops at 5 mph, even whey the car is turned off.
I took it to the dealer today and they told me that was normal, so that the needle never goes below 0. Is that right? Sounds wrong to me.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

find another like car, and compare. to be honest i never paid any attention, it could be normal
Old 08-04-2016, 12:34 PM
julieyankfan

Default New to Forum - Speedometer problem

I don't know anyone with a similar car, that was why I posted on here. Does anyone with a 2011-2014 have this issue?
Old 08-04-2016, 01:24 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Mine did that one time and I shut it off while at work and got back in it and it was back to zero.

Doesn't sound normal to me.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:27 PM
julieyankfan

Default New to Forum - Speedometer problem

Well, after checking pictures of odometers on websites with cars for sale, I realized that it is supposed to go to zero. I made an appointment back at the dealership and told them I wanted it checked. Found out they fired the Service Advisor that told me it was supposed to be that way. They had to order a whole new instrument cluster. This is the second one they have replaced for me. Last year the gas gauge wouldn't go all the way to F.
I asked to please make sure they didn't scratch up my steering column like last time. Back then they had to replace the steering column cover between the steering wheel and the dashboard. Guess what; they did it again. So I'm still waiting for them to get the same part as last time in and I noticed that they also scratched the plastic part behind the steering wheel. Is it asking too much to cover it with a rag or something so you don't scratch it???
At least the speedometer goes back down to zero now.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:43 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by julieyankfan
I just noticed yesterday that the speedometer never goes back down to 0 mph; it always stops at 5 mph, even whey the car is turned off.
I took it to the dealer today and they told me that was normal, so that the needle never goes below 0. Is that right? Sounds wrong to me.
You're right and the stealership, as is common practice, is giving you BS.
The underlying problem is a malfunctioning gauge stepper motor and if you're handy with a soldering iron, you can easily replace it yourself with a new one purchased in ebay.