Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Ndz98

Default Radio troubles

Hey guys I'm new here so I apologize in advance if this is being posted in the wrong section.

Anyways, about a week ago something happened to my radio to where it partially works and no sound comes from any of the speakers. The a/c controls all work fine, the screen works, some of the radio buttons work but not all respond with the appropriate action when clicked. I tried taking the fuse out and letting it reset. I also took the radio out and unplugged the wiring harness just in case that would help with resetting it. No luck either time with getting it to work. Any ideas as to what the problem is and how I can fix it? Thanks!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Ndz98

Bump.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

do any sources (AM/FM/CD/SYNC) work at all? what happens when you turn the volume ****? do you see the volume "scale" pop up on the screen?

try this- in FM mode, press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for several seconds (at least 5) and let us know what happens.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Ndz98

Originally Posted by jz78817
do any sources (AM/FM/CD/SYNC) work at all? what happens when you turn the volume ****? do you see the volume "scale" pop up on the screen?

try this- in FM mode, press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for several seconds (at least 5) and let us know what happens.
I have he real basic radio in my car so I don't have the sync. But all the buttons work except for the "sound" button where you can turn up bass, treble, etc., and the fm/am button. The scale pops up when I turn the dial on the volume ****. When I hold down 3 and 6 I get a message on the screen that says speaker left front, right front, left rear, right rear.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Ndz98

Hello? Any help out there from anyone?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like the output is gone on the head unit.... without a schematic of the radio, it would be hard to find the faulty output IC.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Ndz98

Originally Posted by ucinn
Sounds like the output is gone on the head unit.... without a schematic of the radio, it would be hard to find the faulty output IC.
Is it possible to figure out if that is the problem on my own or would I have to take it to ford and let them diagnose it?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

If it's the basic radio, the amp is built in to the head unit so there's no external amp I would presume. So unless you blew all four speakers, then I would say it's very probable that's your problem. Just first make sure and hit that mute switch a couple times to make sure it's just not muted. To check it you would have to take itout of the car and hook it to a battery source and other speaker to know for sure.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Ndz98

Also thanks for the reply!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Ndz98

If it's the basic radio, the amp is built in to the head unit so there's no external amp I would presume. So unless you blew all four speakers, then I would say it's very probable that's your problem. Just first make sure and hit that mute switch a couple times to make sure it's just not muted. To check it you would have to take itout of the car and hook it to a battery source and other speaker to know for sure.
If that is the problem how would I fix it? Also that wouldn't have anything to do with the buttons not working, would it?

Quick Reply: Radio troubles