Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose throttle issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:16 AM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Default Which replacement throttle body for 2005 GT?

My wife's 2005 GT has been giving her throttle issues over the last few years. It get where it loses power and runs like trash, she has to pull over and turn the car off then start it again and it usually fixes itself. I'm thinking I just need to get the throttle body replaced. I spoke with my mechanic and he said he had a guy that bought a TB from Rockauto and it didn't last long and they didn't cover it under warranty, then he got one from Amazon and it only lasted 2 months and again no warranty. The guy finally bought an OEM TB from the dealership at twice the cost of the aftermarket ones so in the end he had twice the money in the TB as he would have if he went straight to the OEM. Are there decent aftermarket ones you guys would recommend or should I go OEM? I'm not interested in any high flow performance models, just a stock type.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Have you checked for trouble codes?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

I can try again, its been a while since I had the codes pulled. Seems in the past I got some really ambiguous codes. One time I had to clean the TB but I think that was due to oil residue from a K&N filter.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zanemoseley
Are there decent aftermarket ones you guys would recommend or should I go OEM?
Go OEM but before you part with your cash, verify that the existing throttle body is the actual source of the problem.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:17 AM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

I'll stop by a parts store tonight to get the codes read and report back.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:14 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Default Help diagnose throttle issue.

My wife has a 2005 GT with 125k miles. She's had occasional throttle problems over the last couple years. A couple years back she was having a low idle and stalling at stops, I fixed this by cleaning the TB and replacing the K&N with a standard air filter as I read the oil coating on the K&N drop in's can cause this issue. She has also had occasional sudden drops in power, this is solved by pulling over and turning off the car and restarting when resets the computers and sensors.

Yesterday she had one of the worst episodes yet. First thing in the morning she had 7 times in a row where the car stalled or completely lost power and went into "limp mode". It would reset and act normal for a brief period if she restarted the car. She said the "wrench light" was on which from what I've read indicates an issue with the TB. After the both of us reading some I felt confident enough it was the TB and went ahead and ordered a Ford Racing TB from American Muscle for $200. The car drove fine for the remainder of the day.

We swapped cars today and I drove the mustang as she has a lot more driving to do and didn't want to risk having problems. First thing I noticed when I got in the car was the check engine light was on (not the wrench light), she said this was not on yesterday. The car drove well the entire day and after work I went and got the codes read and it was as follows:

P0193: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor had high voltage input for a predetermined period of time. It recommended replacing the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.

So now I'm confused a bit. Did the TB issues cause this code to be triggered? What I don't wanna do is install the new $200 TB only to have it be the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. My reading indicated that the wrench light is specific to TB issues.

So what do I do?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If it turns out to be the throttle body just get the OEM one.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zanemoseley
I can try again, its been a while since I had the codes pulled. Seems in the past I got some really ambiguous codes. One time I had to clean the TB but I think that was due to oil residue from a K&N filter.
There's your problem. Get an OEM throttle body and get away from "high flow" oiled filters.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:18 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? If you think the oil from the K&N filter got to the TB then it had to pass the MAF sensor to get there. Just get a spray can of CRC and see if your issues are a result of a dirty sensor (which is oftentimes the cause). Should take about 10 minutes.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No a P0193 would not be triggered by a TB. The FPS (fuel pressure Sensor) is an expensive piece for what it is. Ideally you should be able to check it before you spend the money to buy it.

It's considered an electronic part so as soon as you install it, you own it.

Quick Reply: Help diagnose throttle issue.