Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:30 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Default ECU swap

I Replaced the ecu on my 2012 and had a lock smith come out and recalibrate my keys.
The security light goes out but the car will not start. Won't even turn over now.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:41 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

replacing the pcm requires flashing it using as built data, or pulling the program out of the old module and installing it into the new module. this is nothing a locksmith can do, you need to go to a dealer and have them flash it with as built data. FYI the PCM is covered under emissions warranty for 8 years or 80k miles
Old 09-04-2016, 07:02 AM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
replacing the pcm requires flashing it using as built data, or pulling the program out of the old module and installing it into the new module. this is nothing a locksmith can do, you need to go to a dealer and have them flash it with as built data. FYI the PCM is covered under emissions warranty for 8 years or 80k miles
I purchased the ecu from a company, part of there service is that the unit is programed with ford's software, there is no issue with data on the ecu. I actully sent it back to have it tested. They said there was nothing wrong with the unit, hhmmmmmm.? Thanks for the Info on the warranty.

I should get it back this week and I will try again.

FYI: I'm replacing the unit because there is a timing issue on the drivers side only. I've checked all of the related items for the TI,VCT system with no results. This all happen after having the motor rebuilt and loading a custom tune before I checked any CEL'S (I should have checked the light prior).
Old 09-04-2016, 07:52 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by runninpony6
FYI: I'm replacing the unit because there is a timing issue on the drivers side only. I've checked all of the related items for the TI,VCT system with no results. This all happen after having the motor rebuilt and loading a custom tune before I checked any CEL'S (I should have checked the light prior).
There may not have been an issue with your PCM. When you had the motor rebuilt and reinstalled, did the installer do the crank relearn procedure? If not, then your issue could be related to that. For 2011+ cars, anytime you separate the engine from the car or transmission you have to do the crank relearn so the PCM knows where everything is; if it isn't done then you will have timing issues because the PCM doesn't know where the crank is.

Learned it the hard way and had to replace the engine
Old 09-05-2016, 07:25 AM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
There may not have been an issue with your PCM. When you had the motor rebuilt and reinstalled, did the installer do the crank relearn procedure? If not, then your issue could be related to that. For 2011+ cars, anytime you separate the engine from the car or transmission you have to do the crank relearn so the PCM knows where everything is; if it isn't done then you will have timing issues because the PCM doesn't know where the crank is.

Learned it the hard way and had to replace the engine
Yes we did do a crank relearn. I have an X4 that can perform this function (this is NOT THE SAME AS the Kam reset). Which the X3 does only.

That's the crazy about this, the car runs good other than at idle. But the data log is showing -58 +58 on the intake and exhaust timing just on the drivers side.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i remember now, you have to use the ford scan tool to perform a parameter reset under PATS functions, this causes all the modules to work together again, try that and let us know.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by runninpony6
I purchased the ecu from a company, part of there service is that the unit is programed with ford's software, there is no issue with data on the ecu. I actully sent it back to have it tested. They said there was nothing wrong with the unit, hhmmmmmm.? Thanks for the Info on the warranty.

I should get it back this week and I will try again.

I would have been suspicious of the different timing. I've only seen that happen when the cams are off. Generally they jump a tooth or something. Hopefully that has been checked.

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

This is a straight up anti-theft thing. The car needs to go to the dealer and have all the modules in the car retrained to speak to one another. Only Ford IDS can do this. They will force feed as-built data onto the ECM and get a little negotiation going between the ECM, the IPC and the BCM.

Why this is there is the prevent chop shops from easily swapping out electronics to get stolen cars running with different parts. It adds hassle for the legit end user but the intention is good.