Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:20 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

perception or feel is never accurate and will often fall victim to the placebo effect. this has been discussed many times, and in certain cars a cai helps, but in the latest mustangs the cai is optimal for the engine in stock form and like was said before, the gains seen on the dynos are all with cai + tunes, and the gains are from the tune adding timing, leaning out af ratio and tweaking cam timing, not from the lump of plastic they sold along with it.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:41 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Even if there is no noticable gain in performance, the visual and audible difference is worth it in my book. Looks better than the stock airbox and makes it sound better too.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:46 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
I hate to shoot down that theory, but I have run 2 runs back to back on a dynos and have had up to 10 hp difference between them just minutes apart, unless the gain is significant you can chalk up single digit gains to an variances in the dyno
How many frigging dyno runs before it will officially count then? A CAI is never ever going to make a 30WHP difference. So you either choice to believe the dyno or you don't. All you can do is run on the same day and try to duplicate the stock run as best you can. Since your in the anti CAI camp. You'll simply say it's a dyno error. So basically there is no way to prove that a CAI works to you. Because any gain will be blown off as an error. This is why I don't race on a dyno. To much bullsh!t. You've dyno'd one car on one dyno but you choice to speak for everyone. You don't even own a modern Mustang. But your claiming to know more about them then the people that do own them. Your post above basically calls me either a lair or stupid. As I stated, I dyno'd stock. 30 minutes later we dyno'd with a CAI only. And finally about 30 minutes after the tune loaded we did a final pull with modest gains between each pull. If the modern GT intake tube is so good. Why does the GT350 come with a CAI stock from the factory???
Attached Thumbnails CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit-gt350.png   CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit-01-2015-mustang-50-engine.jpg  

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 09-26-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:18 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
How many frigging dyno runs before it will officially count then? A CAI is never ever going to make a 30WHP difference. So you either choice to believe the dyno or you don't. All you can do is run on the same day and try to duplicate the stock run as best you can. Since your in the anti CAI camp. You'll simply say it's a dyno error. So basically there is no way to prove that a CAI works to you. Because any gain will be blown off as an error. This is why I don't race on a dyno. To much bullsh!t. You've dyno'd one car on one dyno but you choice to speak for everyone. You don't even own a modern Mustang. But your claiming to know more about them then the people that do own them. Your post above basically calls me either a lair or stupid. As I stated, I dyno'd stock. 30 minutes later we dyno'd with a CAI only. And finally about 30 minutes after the tune loaded we did a final pull with modest gains between each pull. If the modern GT intake tube is so good. Why does the GT350 come with a CAI stock from the factory???
rage much? 7 hp without the tune is nothing more than variation, thats why 1 pull isnt used to determine a base line by anybody who is serious about data, and not just looking to sell parts. i can run any car multiple times, and get single digit variations on each run. like i said the tune makes the power. think what you want to think, i know santa isnt real as well.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

rage much? 7 hp without the tune is nothing more than variation, thats why 1 pull isnt used to determine a base line by anybody who is serious about data, and not just looking to sell parts. i can run any car multiple times, and get single digit variations on each run. like i said the tune makes the power. think what you want to think, i know santa isnt real as well.
If you knew anything about tuning you wouldn't be making a measly 400HP. Tell Santa I said hi. If a cold air intake make a real world 5-15 crank HP. How are smart interweb racers like yourself ever going to measure it???? According to you. Dynos can't be trusted. Also you never answered the GT350 question. Maybe you don't understand modern cars as much as you think? Do you think of the SN95 as a modern car? Lastly, riddle me this. Why does every ford racing power pack for the S550 (A MODERN MUSTANG) offer some type of induction over stock air box? If the stock air box is the end all be all! Why would the engineers at ford replace it??? If the tune is all that's making the power with these kits. Why include a GT350 CAI with the power packs? All people want is warrantied power with those power packs! So if the tune alone is making 100% of the power ford claims the entire power pack is making. And the GT350 intake is making zero power as you claim! Wouldn't it be cheaper for ford to just delete the CAI and make more profit from each kit? Ford is one of the biggest car companies in the world. With world class engineers. They don't need to make wild power claims. like some little aftermarket parts company. Yet here they are offering a CAI with every one of their power pack kits. I'll give ford your number and you can straighten out those world class engineers. They'll be impressed with your internet degree in BS.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:36 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

See nomad, they get all pissed when you tell them that the CAI itself doesn't make power, then they attack you personally, and ask questions about why ford sells "upgraded" air inlets in packages that always include tunes, well I'll answer his stupid question. The answer is that the GT350 NEEDS better air flow as it has a higher red line and physically CAN flow more air while operating than the 5.0. its not that the gt350 style inlet doesnt flow better, its that the 5.0 doesnt ever draw more air than its inlet can provide. simple. They include them in their add on packs for 1 reason, because the aftermarket does, people have been trained by the aftermarket to feel that they are missing out on power if they don't take off their stock intake and entire exhaust and swap it for thousands of dollars in products. Do whatever makes you feel like you gained power, some will spend thousands on bolt ons because of the hype from the manufacturer just to find out on the dyno that the 60 hp promised cumulative gains are pure BS. A statement was made, I agreed, and a point about the pure rage some people feel when their reality is shaken has been proven. I did all this without insulting anybody or their vehicle. Lol if I only knew how to tune a car I would be making more than 400 hp? Maybe if you knew what you were talking about you would see how stupid that statement is, but it's probably too hard to see that when you are focused on all the sand in your vagina.

Last edited by jwog666; 09-26-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Ps you do realize the the engineer in the op's video in post 1 is a Ford engineer, and he states, " you can't do better than the stock air inlet"? Paying attention is free, even if at first it seems like it might cost something.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:02 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

this box

draws cold air from the left side of the grille

exactly like

this box

and

this box

they all draw from the same location, the difference is the last box requires a tune to make it work correctly, thats where the power comes from >>>>from the notes listed with the inlet>>>>Installation Note
Mustang GT models require a custom tune and slight modification to the grille duct for proper fitment.
this crap has been discussed and argued about many times, and on many different cars. here is a video of a non mustang being tested to bust the cold air inlet myth. basically, as long as the air inlet was well designed in stock form, and is using a clean non restricted filter, the gains that are advertised as significant are lies and figure manipulation.

Last edited by jwog666; 09-26-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

this box

draws cold air from the left side of the grille

exactly like

this box
Yeah, and both have a hopelessly small snorkel that the engine has to breathe through a straw. The filter area of the Airaid CAI is also smaller than that of the stock filter. Not the best example of a CAI to make a comparison to stock.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the cross sectional area of the snorkel is the same as the cross sectional area of the tube connecting it to the TB. the straw analogy makes no difference as long as the straw flows more than enough to feed the engine, in this case it does. thats why gains from air intakes alone are single digits non existent, or not published by the companies. they have no problem however posting gains with a tune, because the tune makes the power

Quick Reply: CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit