Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/05 fuel filter screwup

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 AM
gpphillips

But when a non-ford shop manual says to use a screw driver to remove the clip this is the mess it puts yourself in. My mistake and I learned from it. But being that the clip is plastic, they will over time get brittle and break even if taken off the correct way. Check the web, I found some who used the release tool still broke them. The part should be available to replace when either broken or too old. Specially when it holds fuel lines on a filter located close to exhaust pipes.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:03 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i work with this style connector every day, and i assure you, the only people on the web or otherwise who have issues with them, do so because they took them off improperly. while its a bummer, spending extra money producing parts to service a small population of people who ruin them isnt something ford is going to do.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:31 PM
gpphillips

How can you say spending the extra money. Ford used the clip I have on Ranger, Expedition, F150, F250, Mercury Mountaineer and god knows what else. All I am saying is that I am not the only person to break them either by accident or doing it correctly. I even saw that Volkswagen used them to but their lines are 7/16" or 1/2". Dorman had a p/n for the Volkswagen 800-021, but nothing for Ford.

Any who so far my fix is working but time will tell.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by gpphillips
How can you say spending the extra money. Ford used the clip I have on Ranger, Expedition, F150, F250, Mercury Mountaineer and god knows what else. All I am saying is that I am not the only person to break them either by accident or doing it correctly. I even saw that Volkswagen used them to but their lines are 7/16" or 1/2". Dorman had a p/n for the Volkswagen 800-021, but nothing for Ford.

Any who so far my fix is working but time will tell.
Go to a junk yard and see if you can find them. They don't typically pull the fuel lines so you should be able to get in there and find/buy what you need. Since it's the clips only, you don't have to worry about contamination.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:50 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Why Ford thinks that spending $250+ just to get a $5+ dollar clip is a total crock.

Your talking about the same company that wanted to replace my entire driver's side rocker panel under warranty to the tune of almost 1K (paint + prep + install) on my previous 13' because one of the white t-clips that holds the rocker to the car broke somehow. They don't sell the t-clips individually so that was all Ford would/could do. Since their body shop is 3-4 levels below MACO, and I didn't trust them painting my car again since the previous shoddy repairs, I walked over to the body shop and they allowed me to look through their fastener cabinets/drawers. I found exactly what I needed for less than .30 cent. My service guy and I removed the old one and replaced it in the parking lot in about 10 minutes since the other one had left the broken tip in the hole. I would check salvage yards for the fuel filter clips like others recommended.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Ifyou look closely in the America Muscle pictures the first three is what I have.The clip is tight to the connector and you must use a fuel line release tool toget them off. DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER LIKE I DID.
My car has those kind of clips on it and you don't need any special tool to release them. They're still "push to release" just not as easy to do as the other ones. I have a small pair of channel locks that I use to push in the green parts on the sides since you can't really do it with your hands, works every time.