Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Conconwall

Default Tranny Problems

I have a 2007 Mustang Convertible GT (automatic.) As I drove the other day, the overdrive off light started flashing on my dash.. the next day (yesterday) the light was gone and when I went on a small drive, the light came back on with the check engine light.. I checked again today, and the overdrive off light wasn't flashing, but the check engine light was on. I tried shifting from park to reverse and it seemed more difficult than usual.. I decided not to drive, for I don't wanna drive on a messed up engine or tranny.. does the tough shifting have to do with the overdrive off problem, or is it unrelated? What might the problem be?
Old 10-31-2016, 06:43 AM
JimC

You need to pull the codes -- all anyone can do is guess without the codes. But with the OD light flashing, that is saying something is wrong with the transmission.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:09 AM
Conconwall

Default Thanks

Okay that was what I was thinking.. I will take it in and hope for the best! Thank you
Old 11-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah...the 5r55S transmissions are notorious for a few things.

The worst being bore wear on the intermediate and overdrive servo shaft casing. Aluminum transmission Case vs Steel shafts...eventually you get bleed by on one or both of the servo shafts which causes transmission problems.

The OD light flashing doesn't mean the OverDrive has failed, it means there's a problem in general with your transmission and that there is a code that has been stored in the PCM/BCM that you can retrieve like JimC stated.

You will need a scan tool capable of reading them. Cheap OBDII scan tools don't usually read Transmission and ABS codes. You will need to either go to a shop that has the proper scan tool or invest in one yourself for around $130+