Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:58 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

awesome news maybe ill live with mine for a few years.

Originally Posted by JimC
Yes I did. Ran a 75 shot of nitrous for 2 years. Then pulled that off and installed the Xcharger Xtreme (with 90,000 miles on the engine and transmission). Everything was fine at 203,000 miles when I sold the car; and it was still running great with >245,000 when the guy I sold it to sold it this fall.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

My 06 GT lasted about 38000 miles. Started slipping from second to third. Never raced, but torqued it out once in a while, nothing that should have harmed it. Put in a Performance Automatic Super Streeter and no problems for the last four years. PA said that the torque converter had gone in the original and contaminated and damaged it.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I'm driving mine till it goes out completely.

Almost have 100,000 miles on it.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:51 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I took my car to the performance shop i go to here last week and asked them if they have seen a lot of tranny issues with these cars. They hadn't. They don't rebuild tranny's so that could very well be a reason that they don't. They do install better tranny's which i have considered every once in awhile. For now Ill keep reading the threads
Old 02-06-2017, 04:51 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Nope, 2011 they changed the entire drive train. You have a 6 speed auto (6F35?)
The 6F35 is a front wheel drive transaxle use in the Fusion and Escape, as well as others. Mustang got the 6R80 in 2011.

I'm rather surprised at the people saying the 5R55 is a "ticking time bomb." Almost 80k on the one in my Ranger Sport and it's not acting up. I'd wager people who have had them fail in Mustangs beat on their cars far more than they will admit.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jz78817
The 6F35 is a front wheel drive transaxle use in the Fusion and Escape, as well as others. Mustang got the 6R80 in 2011.

I'm rather surprised at the people saying the 5R55 is a "ticking time bomb." Almost 80k on the one in my Ranger Sport and it's not acting up. I'd wager people who have had them fail in Mustangs beat on their cars far more than they will admit.
Thanks for clarifying the tranny, that's why I put the (?) after the 6F35 model, wasn't sure.

Anyways, the 5r55s is known to have issues. I'm at 83K and have had zero issues with it but, the servo bore problem does exist with this model of transny as does the reverse problem, and in a sufficient number of vehicles that both aftermarket and Ford have addressed it. You know Ford doesn't address something unless it's known to be common. It's more common on the Trucks though which could be from towing and just the weight of the vehicle in general.

Beat on it? Yup, every light is a staging area. Light turns green, green = go to over 5mph on the speed limit then I cruise (except residential and school zones). Gets me in front of the pack so I'm not having to figure out how to get over a lane or two because some dip wad wants to match my speed or shadow me (ride in my blind spot matching my speed) or the cars are bumper-to-bumper in the lane I need.

Also keeps the people that aren't paying attention from cutting over in front of me cos they're in the far right or left lane and need to turn in the opposite direction.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

That is exactly what I do when at a light or in heavy traffic. Im always the first to get going. Keep the OD off and I let the car run through. That way I don't have to worry about tail gaters, people cutting me off, shadowing, and all that other crap.

Originally Posted by Derf00
Thanks for clarifying the tranny, that's why I put the (?) after the 6F35 model, wasn't sure.

Anyways, the 5r55s is known to have issues. I'm at 83K and have had zero issues with it but, the servo bore problem does exist with this model of transny as does the reverse problem, and in a sufficient number of vehicles that both aftermarket and Ford have addressed it. You know Ford doesn't address something unless it's known to be common. It's more common on the Trucks though which could be from towing and just the weight of the vehicle in general.

Beat on it? Yup, every light is a staging area. Light turns green, green = go to over 5mph on the speed limit then I cruise (except residential and school zones). Gets me in front of the pack so I'm not having to figure out how to get over a lane or two because some dip wad wants to match my speed or shadow me (ride in my blind spot matching my speed) or the cars are bumper-to-bumper in the lane I need.

Also keeps the people that aren't paying attention from cutting over in front of me cos they're in the far right or left lane and need to turn in the opposite direction.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I think it depends. I know guys that track the **** out of the car and have over 100k on the car and no tranny issues. I also do think tracking the car is as hard on a car as people may think. Running through the gears is good for them. Its the other **** that people do that can be catastrophic. constantly goosing the car hard or at highway speeds dropping the hammer and making the car down shift hard. I think when someone gets a sports car then its assumed that these instances are ok b/c its a sports car. From what i have read and what ford has stated certainly is something to be concerned about.

Originally Posted by jz78817

Old 02-06-2017, 08:17 PM
JimC

I beat on my 2006 as much as anyone. Every weekend at the drag strip, with nitrous first and then a supercharger. Hot lapped in many times.

I put 203,000 miles on that car and never had any transmission problems. The guy I sold it to ran it to over 245,000 miles, took it on long trips and raced it on weekends as well. Never had a problem with it.

The third owner is a collector so the car sits more I'm sure.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by outceltj
That is exactly what I do when at a light or in heavy traffic. Im always the first to get going. Keep the OD off and I let the car run through. That way I don't have to worry about tail gaters, people cutting me off, shadowing, and all that other crap.
Hah, that too! I only turn OD on, on the freeway/highway or when I am sustaining a speed for more than a mile or so.

Quick Reply: How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?