Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:03 PM
graberbluestang31

Default Question about changing seats

Hey guys 1st time poster but i read on here pretty often, i have a 2011 5.0 mustang, got her 2 years ago and its been great.

Just recently i had the power seat motor for my drivers seat go out? ford tells me that i have to replace the whole rack for the seat an the part alone is 900$ which seems crazy when a set of used seats in good cobdition can be had for half that much. From what ive found the late 2012-2014 cars have a different air bag sensor then the 2011s which kind of limits my options. (ive searched long and hard for a pair of 2011 recaros but they seem to be a thing of legend lol) i did come across a pair of 2010 premium seats local to me for a really good price.

1st question, at minimum would i be able to steal the power seat rack from thoes seats and swap them into my seats and be done with it?

2nd is the airbag sensor/bladder the same and would i be able to just swap in the whole seat as they are actually in slightly better shape then my current ones

3rd the seats im looking at are heated which was like the one option my stang didnt come with. What is involed with wiring in the heated seats to my current car if i can swap in the seats. (or can i swap the elements into my current seats?)

thank you
Old 12-02-2016, 01:11 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I would bet the wiring for the heated seats is already in the harness, you will just have to figure out how to add the switches for it.

And- you should be able to swap seat tracks with no issue. I don't know personally but every other vehicle I've ever owned had the seats bolted to the seat tracks. Just swap one for the other.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM
007 v6

Originally Posted by graberbluestang31
Hey guys 1st time poster but i read on here pretty often, i have a 2011 5.0 mustang, got her 2 years ago and its been great.

Just recently i had the power seat motor for my drivers seat go out? ford tells me that i have to replace the whole rack for the seat an the part alone is 900$ which seems crazy when a set of used seats in good cobdition can be had for half that much. From what ive found the late 2012-2014 cars have a different air bag sensor then the 2011s which kind of limits my options. (ive searched long and hard for a pair of 2011 recaros but they seem to be a thing of legend lol) i did come across a pair of 2010 premium seats local to me for a really good price.

1st question, at minimum would i be able to steal the power seat rack from thoes seats and swap them into my seats and be done with it?

2nd is the airbag sensor/bladder the same and would i be able to just swap in the whole seat as they are actually in slightly better shape then my current ones

3rd the seats im looking at are heated which was like the one option my stang didnt come with. What is involed with wiring in the heated seats to my current car if i can swap in the seats. (or can i swap the elements into my current seats?)

thank you
There are several sets of Recaros on eBay right now if you are still interested.

If you are interested in the late model seats with heat AND cooling, go to the dealership and sit in a car that already has them. The cooling feature makes the seat bottom stiff and they're not too comfortable (to me anyway).

If you find a definite answer on the airbag sensor, please post it. I can't see why the airbag sensor would be different in any of these cars 2005 to 2016. Is the airbag in the steering wheel fundamentally different or the sensors in the bumpers ?

Last edited by 007 v6; 01-08-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You should be able to find one in the junk yard for a reasonable price.
That's what I'd do first...
If your passenger seat is also power, you could swap the tracks for a short term solution.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Seems like you could just buy one cheap from junkyard.