Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Mustang 3.7 - P0023

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 PM
thejaffe

Default 2012 Mustang 3.7 - P0023

Getting a code P0023 which Torque shows: "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit (Bank 2).

Not sure where to start looking, as the internet is usually more helpful, so I thought I'd specifically ask the experts here. I know there are 4 cam position sensors, and I know that the variable valve timing solenoids can possibly be related, but I'm lost as to what to look at first. I don't know (and can't seem to find any info to narrow it down) which is bank B...or?

The car has 23k miles, and otherwise is perfect, love this car. Symptoms seem to be intermittent. When it's acting up the car is horribly doggy, and loses acceleration. Idles fine, runs OK, and still get about 20 MPG, and as long as you don't get on accelerator, you'd not really know there was a problem. Once you goose it though, it's obvious it's blowing out the exhaust manifolds or something, the car has a low roar/rumble and vibration, and as mentioned, NO POWER. Takes away all the fun of driving it!

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check the charging circuit (alternator and battery) on your car. Older 05-2010 mustangs throw similar codes when the alternator is not not working correctly. It's a bad diode or one that starts to fail and the Sine wave that it sends out interferes with the Camshaft sensor signals.

From what I've read you can only really see it with an oscilliscope.

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb06-19-12.pdf

Yes, I realize that it's not for your year car but, start with that if a normal charging circuit test doesn't reveal anything. I find it really doubtful the sensor itself failed. There's nothing to it but a magnet, a couple of wires, some plastic, and an o-ring.