Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake Light

Have a 2006 mustang convertible with 20k miles. I drove the car in a rain and my brake lights went out. I only have 2 brake lights on driver side only plus third brake light. I check all the bulbs and they are all good. What do I need to check now? Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 PM
coffeebowl
1st Gear Member

checked fuses?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Check for water in the passenger side footwell. Also, take off the cover on the passenger side kickpanel and check for water. Might be the smart junction box.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by coffeebowl
checked fuses?
I have checked the fuse under the hood on passenger size. Fuse 59 and 67. Looks good. I never felt any wetness by the kick panel.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 PM
socal57chevy

So...you have no brake lights...or you have some brake lights that work? I'm a little confused by your nomenclature.

If you have zero brake lights, check the wiring at the brake light switch. I'll bet the wiring is bad at or near the connector.

Last edited by socal57chevy; 02-20-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I believe he is saying that his passenger side brake lights do not work. When you use your right hand side turn signal does anything work on your passenger side? I don't recall, don't know if ours have separate bulbs for brake and turn. If left side, and center brake lights work, I be wondering if their is a wire from driver side to passenger side brake light that has taken a header, OR, if the ground for the passenger side has gone bad?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
I believe he is saying that his passenger side brake lights do not work. When you use your right hand side turn signal does anything work on your passenger side? I don't recall, don't know if ours have separate bulbs for brake and turn. If left side, and center brake lights work, I be wondering if their is a wire from driver side to passenger side brake light that has taken a header, OR, if the ground for the passenger side has gone bad?
Actually when I checked last night ONLY 2 of my passenger brake light that worked and the driver side brake light is the one that is NOT working. Sorry for the confusion because I posted in a hurry. My trunk lid brake light works. My turn signal is the same. I have no turn signal on the driver side however the passenger turn signal works but only on the 2 lights instead of 3.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Ancient memory here. I have not had that many cars in my life. My last two sold had a combined mileage of 507k. But a common denominator was, I vaguely recall, when the turn signal bulb died, that the turn indicator in the dash would get wonky. Are you having that problem? Maybe it might point to a ground issue on the deceased lights? Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Check to see if you are getting power to the bulbs?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:01 AM
socal57chevy

Time to get out a test light and go to town.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
Ancient memory here. I have not had that many cars in my life. My last two sold had a combined mileage of 507k. But a common denominator was, I vaguely recall, when the turn signal bulb died, that the turn indicator in the dash would get wonky. Are you having that problem? Maybe it might point to a ground issue on the deceased lights? Do you have a volt/ohm meter? Check to see if you are getting power to the bulbs?
Yeah i get the wonky turn signal on dashboard. I might check the fuse for turn signal. I have a toyota DD without any issue and ford thats hardly driven that already has a couple issue. LOL spark plug which i replaced and now this. I recall mustang owner having this wacky issue due to rain. I never paid attention to it because I dont drive it in the rain until that one night I did.