Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guys, I'm officially Mustang-less

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Well guys, I'm officially Mustang-less

Well guys, I got into my first accident yesterday and it totaled the mustang. Looked to my side mirror so check the lane next to me and when I looked back everyone was nearly stopped (still not sure why...)
I almost managed to stop, but not quite. The Explorer I hit barely needs any repairs but my car didnt car so well. I hit right on the trailer hitch area.

Insurance is going to pay me $8400 minus my $500 deductible. So I'm not too unhappy as I've had it for sale for a while and probably would have taken $8k for it, but it is sad to see such a nice car go this way! Ive had this car since around 2008 and it lasted 133k miles.

At least the insurance guy let me take my CAI, louvers, and blackout panel off. And Im going to try and swap my headunit back to factory too.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:44 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

OUCH, sorry man......

Are you looking to get another Mustang?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

How is that a write-off?!?!
You need a better insurance company wtf
Old 03-24-2017, 07:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i am shocked they didnt want to fix that either. Looks like less than 8500 in damage for sure
Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I don't understand why they totaled it. Did your airbags deploy?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
OUCH, sorry man......

Are you looking to get another Mustang?
I've actually been looking at getting a C7. But I also keep seeing a new Mustangs that I really like. So I'm not 100% sure yet.

Im guessing there may have been some structural damage around the radiator supports? Airbags didnt deploy but I hit right on the passenger side of the grille and it hit above the bumper so all of the impact was right into that area. I was 50/50 on whether or not I thought it would be totaled when I looked at it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 AM
JimC

Age of the car and structural damage could account for the total decision. If it is going to cost as much to fix it as a total claim, the insurance company will just do a total loss. If it is over half the fair market value to fix it, they will likely declare it a total loss even.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:52 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Oh my God, that's a totaled car in the US? Rofl, out here that's a fender bender. But then again labor is so cheap and cars so expensive due to taxes that the insurance wouldn't even consider totaling it even if the airbags deployed.

That car, for example would fetch around 16K US$. Someone offered me 18k for mine and I declined. With that I couldn't even make a down payment on a new GT, which by the way costs 62k US$ for a base GT.

I have an idea for you. Buy it back from the insurance company and make it a track car. Or sell it for parts on Ebay. Hell, I'd buy the whole interior from you if it's black. I hate the beige on mine. The rear bumper too.

It's a shame to see a car like that go.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I test drove a 2017 GT Premium today. Man was it tempting! The 5.0 and 6 speed is sweet and the newer interior is awesome. I loved the Recaros! But then I stopped at chevy and saw a C7 Grand Sport (which i cant really afford). God is it a beautiful car.

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Oh my God, that's a totaled car in the US? Rofl, out here that's a fender bender. But then again labor is so cheap and cars so expensive due to taxes that the insurance wouldn't even consider totaling it even if the airbags deployed.

That car, for example would fetch around 16K US$. Someone offered me 18k for mine and I declined. With that I couldn't even make a down payment on a new GT, which by the way costs 62k US$ for a base GT.

I have an idea for you. Buy it back from the insurance company and make it a track car. Or sell it for parts on Ebay. Hell, I'd buy the whole interior from you if it's black. I hate the beige on mine. The rear bumper too.

It's a shame to see a car like that go.
Im going to ask about buying it. If its cheap enough I may. The interior is in great shape and its black. Seats are roush leather/suede with red stitching.

This pic is from a few weeks ago, when I listed it for sale.

Last edited by Shadow7874; 03-25-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I don't understand why they totaled it.
Me neither. I've seen cars with worse damage get repaired and end up looking like new, including my own.