Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Koolade

Originally Posted by Art161
Not new information, but I would suggest you check the parasitic draw after the car has been sitting with everything turned off for 45 minutes. If the draw exceeds 50 milliamperes, then you have to start pulling fuses until you find the circuit(s) that are drawing excessive current.
Thanks Art, and I'm planning on doing that as soon as it warms up enough to be outside for a while. (the garage has reached winter capacity, so there's no room to work, lol.)
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
nukeelec

Default Testing parasitic current draw on battery

Originally Posted by Professor Wizard
Turn everything off... remove key...

Disconnect the Power Cable from the Battery.. then put an AMP/Volt meter on the + post and the Power Cable.. see if your car is drawing juice and how much.

It will draw a little... the clock for the radio... Memory store function of the computer.. but it should be VERY low Amps...
__________________________________________________ __________________________
You've got the right idea, but you should do this on the NEGATIVE battery terminal and cable. You should ALWAYS disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect it last. If you didn't and happened to contact the vehicle body with a wrench while disconnecting the positive terminal, you would create a direct short that would draw a massive amount of current.

Last edited by nukeelec; 01-23-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by rhondaw
Bought a new Mustang GT in August. Twice the car has been laid up for two - three weeks in my garage while I was away working and the Battery Died both times. The first time she was locked up and the anti theft system was enabled. Thought maybe that may have been the problem. Second time she was in the garage but the anti theft system was disabled. Didn't really make a difference. Anybody else have this problem or know what may be causing this? Would like to hear from you if so.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Hi Rhonda, my battery died from the Shaker radio! It was cycling the cd's around when the car was off. Can't let the radio shut off with the key. Power it down manually. And for long term storage, I remove all 6 cd's just to be sure.

I've still got the orig battery and haven't had any issues since I put it on a charger and followed the above steps.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM
drg1560

have a 05 same issue twice thanks for posting will try all david
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I replaced my battery last month after it dying many times. But, I think it was my own fault. I have a power converter that allows any regular electrical device plug in to it that is connected to the power hole inside the console. I still have the power converter but keep it unplugged until I need it. The I use it and then unplug it again. That device was draining my battery I'm sure of it. Still, the owner's manual states to unplug the battery if the car will be sitting for a long period of time. To me that is 5 days or more.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
BDKIWI

ok I have a 2006 V6 Shaker 50 and today at 38,123 miles had the 3rd battery installed. Living in Alaska Im aware that there can be isues with the vehicle sitting. But this is my daily driver except when there is more than 8 inches of snow, a rarity in Anchorage. I also own a 1997 F250 with over 110,000 miles on its original battery. Both have after market auto starts professionally fitted. The indications are that there is either an quality issue with the Ford battery or there is an electrical drain in the car.
The company who installed the remote start did a test and found a draw of 1.3A which disappeared when the power brake fuse was removed. Ford tested and say a bad cell in the battery. so I have another BXT-96R at my own expense as the warrantee is over.
I wonder if the variety of issues is caused by poor lead free solder on the computer boards? there are issues with this crap in computing and electronic circles failing to provide a solid connection.

Has anyone ever suggested to Ford that they should read this site. It should open some eyes to consumer complaints. Yes I mean Ford Corporate.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Root66

I know that many will say that it's a "band-aid" approach but I just keep one of those Harbor Freight trickle chargers hooked to the battery if my '06 is gonna sit for more than a week. I have a 3-4 of them hooked up at any given time and my battery expenses have been reduced a lot.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Veight

Yeah he's got the right idea guys and gals. We are all just chasing our tails on this one.
We are never going to find an answer to this. It is a random power draw. Does the radio freek out, sure but that is after the power has already sucked down that it looses its mind. i think it may be like the toyota thing. Bite the bullet... put the charger /tender on the battery and thank God it is not as bad as the runaway acceleration Toyota thing.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Seriously, my car battery died 6 times in the first year. I changed the radio out with an aftermarket one, and it stopped. That same battery lasted for 3 years. Its the damn radio.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
budman17

Default help

I recently stored away my 2007 Shelby GT 500 for the winter. I was told to unplug the negative cable on the battery so it won't be dead in the spring.
So I opened the hood, shut the door, the window goes up, I unplug the battery, and shut the hood. Then I realized that I cannot open the door because the window will not go down. So how do I open the hood??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery