Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:47 PM
BDKIWI

Ok so what have we all learned here.
1 Ford takes 3 years to resolve a problem, one that had to be expensive for those suffering from it. A Design Flaw I'm sure
2 heat and cold in excessive amounts impact battery life. To hot and the plates warp shorting the battery. Too cold with equalize (the point at which the alternator is charging at the rate of draw with all ancillaries running) set around 2600 rpm your never charging in the deep of winter. Note this could also be an issue in heavy traffic with AC and everything on.
3 I will be waiting at least 3 years after the release of the 2015 Mustang to consider replacing one of my 2006's! I cant vote on their board, they don't resolve my complaints in a timely manner and I can vote with my money.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Invective

Default Insulation Sleeve Located

Originally Posted by Art161
7R3Z-10A687-A.

I'm a skeptical person. Perhaps the dealer said you didn't need one because there was none in stock, and the dealer wanted to make the battery sale. My sleeve had to be ordered because the dealer didn't have the part in stock.
Thanks for your help. My local dealer located one with your part number and it's on the way; nearly $35 with tax. I won't be home until about the end of the month and will install it then - hoping my new battery won't be dead either as I didn't bother to check for parasitic loss when I installed it.

I did fully charge the new battery using a 2 amp/ 50 amp Sears charger then topping it off with a Battery Tender - took about 24 hours. I have a dated Sunpro digital meter but I'm not sure if it reads mAH or not - I'll take a look at it when I get home.

I was quite surprised to find I only had to reset the clock as everything else was 'remembered'; this after having no battery installed for about 24 hours.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

good stuff I hope this really helps
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rhondaw
Bought a new Mustang GT in August. Twice the car has been laid up for two - three weeks in my garage while I was away working and the Battery Died both times. The first time she was locked up and the anti theft system was enabled. Thought maybe that may have been the problem. Second time she was in the garage but the anti theft system was disabled. Didn't really make a difference. Anybody else have this problem or know what may be causing this? Would like to hear from you if so.

Thanks,
Rhonda
The only nice person at my Ford dealer is named Rhonda! So when I call them..... wait for it..... wait for it....I say, "Help me Rhonda... help, help me Rhonda!" (The chorus from an old Beach Boys Tune that the old guys will remember..... sorry... apologies! LOL!)

My '08 does the same thing, so whatever is the issue is present in the '08 cars too! Dealer said it was a normal occurrence when not started for 3 weeks or more. ???? Buy a good trickle charger that won't overcharge the battery and worry about bigger issues in life! Letting a battery get low is a bad deal anyhow, so why fight it! On my classic cars I put a connector between the battery and the cable that has a switch than can be turned easily to disconnect the battery in a second. It might be harder to put one on a modern car because of the battery cables. Another answer is drive your car more! I've got an '08 with 10K miles.... that's the problem!

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-11-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rhondaw
Bought a new Mustang GT in August. Twice the car has been laid up for two - three weeks in my garage while I was away working and the Battery Died both times. The first time she was locked up and the anti theft system was enabled. Thought maybe that may have been the problem. Second time she was in the garage but the anti theft system was disabled. Didn't really make a difference. Anybody else have this problem or know what may be causing this? Would like to hear from you if so.

Thanks,
Rhonda
My '08 does the same thing, so whatever is the issue is present in the '08 cars too! Dealer said it was a normal occurrence when not started for 3 weeks or more. ???? Buy a good trickle charger that won't overcharge the battery and worry about bigger issues in life! Letting a battery get low is a bad deal anyhow, so why fight it! On my classic cars I put a connector between the battery and the cable that has a switch than can be turned easily to disconnect the battery in a second. It might be harder to put one on a modern car because of the battery cables. Another answer is drive your car more! I've got an '08 with 10K miles.... that's the problem!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
BDKIWI

Ok I've been over this a few times. 3 batteries in 3 years. I drive all year round in Anchorage AK (no that's Alaska!) so what have I learned.
Under drive pulleys are a negative solution. Stock pulleys have equalize between 2200 & 2600 RPM (check your speed at those revs, my V6's are around 60+ MPH) not exactly legal or safe in town during the winter. So you may not actually be charging you battery all the time.
Added a remote start, alarm and iPod connection to one. Battery died so I had the installer test for reason. Nothing they did caused the problem but the power braking system was drawing 1.5A! with the key in my pocket! Ford initially said they did not have a problem because of the non stock additions. Advised them this was already tested and not an issue. Their answer to the 1.5A draw was to replace the battery.
I have turned off the stereo before the engine ever since the first battery based on others experience. One had the 6 disc unit shuffling the disks with the car turned off in the garage. Heard a funny noise so investigated.
Another reported that when the battery died it dropped the windows. Not happy if that happens!
Although Ford has not admitted it there is a problem. It may relate to the new No Lead solder being used. This solder comes with a feature that can destroy electronics. It creates whiskers that can cause shorts.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Invective

Default Sleeve Arrived

Left home on 10/5 and arrived back home on 11/2. Picked up new sleeve from dealer on 11/4; was told it was a freebee - they get my vote every time! They have a '14 Black on Black GT500 on the showroom floor I'm absolutely smitten by also.

Driving home from the plant on 11/2 I noticed the speedo wasn't working - stuck on zero - odo, cruise and everything else working properly. Did some research and found out there was a higher than average failure rate of the gauge 'stepper motors' for this model year.

Further research found I could have the cluster 'rebuilt' with a lifetime warranty for less than $200, including shipping. Shipped it off yesterday but I'm leaving home again on the 9th so I may not see it for awhile.

The next item will be to get a couple of interior upholstery (drooping headliner and leatherette material on door coming off) issues corrected. Will look around here for a gauge cluster thread to see what's being stated.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Invective

Default Insulation Sleeve Installed

7R3Z-10A687-A.

I'm a skeptical person. Perhaps the dealer said you didn't need one because there was none in stock, and the dealer wanted to make the battery sale. My sleeve had to be ordered because the dealer didn't have the part in stock.
Installed correct insulation sleeve today along with the overhauled instrument cluster.

Everyone remember: Negative cable off first - negative cable on last.

Door upholstery and headliner issues next.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Invective

I'm Back!

This thread has been going for quite awhile and I last posted to it nearly a year ago.

My '05 GT w/auto has just 16k miles and has experienced an intermittent parasitic power loss since new. I'm the second owner since 6k miles; first owner reported the issue too. I rarely drive the car as I travel for weeks at a time for employment. Replaced the original battery last year with the largest of the 4 Motorcraft batteries recommended for this car, depending on the options.

Car has been mostly reliable with the rare 'no start' due to a dead battery. After an unexpected 'no start' last week (dead battery - 5.9v) I finally got around to connecting a multimeter to check for parasitic loss. I first connected the hot battery to lower the windows and drew substantial fire from the connection. I disconnected the battery (positive cable) and connected my multimeter and read an astounding 1.6a! Everything was off, doors closed and trunk light off. Ford states that only 50ma max is acceptable.

I pulled every fuse, circuit breaker and the instrument cluster, coming to the following results:

High Current Box (under the hood)

30a fuse in #67 position: SJB #4 (whatever that is?) Instrument Panel Fuse Box - draw dropped by 30ma when fuse pulled.

Low Current Box (behind RH kick panel)

10a fuse in #8 position: Cluster, Data Link Connector (DLC) - again, draw dropped by 30ma when fuse pulled.

Instrument Cluster: again, draw dropped by 30ma when cluster pulled.

Thinking these 30ma draws are normal and within the 50ma limit. But what could be drawing 1.3a? I noticed when I reconnected the battery there was no visible fire during contact. Hmmm.

A possible clue? Whenever I reinstall a fresh battery after a near complete discharge (like last week) the Shaker 500 radio comes on as soon as I turn the key. I always turn the radio off manually before shutting down the car as recommended.

All thoughts appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery