Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I'm still here!

Random questions, thoughts, comments, whatever:

Are you driving the car right before you begin your testing? You need to activate various modules by driving (Ford suggests at least five minutes at no less than 35 mph).

Are you then letting the car sit with the key off for at least 40 minutes before taking your current readings? Some circuits can take that long to power down.

It wasn't clear to me whether you removed all of the fuses and only the ones you mentioned caused a current drop. You're going to need to check all of them.

The TOTAL parasitic draw should not exceed 50 mA. If you have several circuits that are EACH drawing 30 mA, then the total is more than 50 mA.

Don't forget that not all circuits are fused.

Check for bad grounds. Edit: Also check the positive battery cable for good connections, and also for corrosion. The bad battery was probably offgassing a lot. Corrosion could be hiding in the cable, close to the battery end and a bit under the insulation.

An internal short in the alternator could cause excess parasitic draw.

Good luck!

Last edited by Art161; 09-16-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Invective

Default Hi!

Thanks again for another informed response. Yes, I did pull ALL of the circuit breakers AND fuses. No, I didn't drive the car beforehand. Battery cables look good and all obvious ground connections look good too.

I need to go to the store later and will retest per your recommendations.

Originally Posted by Art161
I'm still here!

Random questions, thoughts, comments, whatever:

Are you driving the car right before you begin your testing? You need to activate various modules by driving (Ford suggests at least five minutes at no less than 35 mph).

Are you then letting the car sit with the key off for at least 40 minutes before taking your current readings? Some circuits can take that long to power down.

It wasn't clear to me whether you removed all of the fuses and only the ones you mentioned caused a current drop. You're going to need to check all of them.

The TOTAL parasitic draw should not exceed 50 mA. If you have several circuits that are EACH drawing 30 mA, then the total is more than 50 mA.

Don't forget that not all circuits are fused.

Check for bad grounds. Edit: Also check the positive battery cable for good connections, and also for corrosion. The bad battery was probably offgassing a lot. Corrosion could be hiding in the cable, close to the battery end and a bit under the insulation.

An internal short in the alternator could cause excess parasitic draw.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Invective

Default Tested again.

Originally Posted by Invective
Thanks again for another informed response. Yes, I did pull ALL of the circuit breakers AND fuses. No, I didn't drive the car beforehand. Battery cables look good and all obvious ground connections look good too.

I need to go to the store later and will retest per your recommendations.
Art161,

Just retested per your recommendations and came up with the following:

With the selector set at 10a, the meter starts at a rapidly fluctuating 1.65 and moves down to a non-fluctuating .10. When I turn the selector to 200m it reads 1.0 and when I turn the selector to 20m it reads .10. I know .1a is 100 milliamps but don't know what to make of the rest of it.

A recommendation in another forum stated to unplug the alternator but I don't see an easy way to do this as it sits up under the intake manifold!

All thoughts welcome.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Invective

Default Update:

Art161,

Just retested per your recommendations and came up with the following:

With the selector set at 10a, the meter starts at a rapidly fluctuating 1.65 and moves down to a non-fluctuating .10. When I turn the selector to 200m it reads 1.0 and when I turn the selector to 20m it reads .10. I know .1a is 100 milliamps but don't know what to make of the rest of it.

A recommendation in another forum stated to unplug the alternator but I don't see an easy way to do this as it sits up under the intake manifold!

All thoughts welcome.
Art161,

Update:

Meter actually fluctuated between .09a and .1a for about 40-45 minutes before dropping to zero in all amp and all three ma settings. Thinking this means I have no 'parasitic draw' issue? Reconnected meter twice to verify.

I've been sloppy in the past about connecting the battery cables - could this be the cause? Love this car - grinned the whole time I drove it today as well as everyday in my possession.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I've never heard before that these cars have 0 mA parasitic draw. There are many circuits that are powered down, but still have some current draw. The lowest I've heard is about 20mA. Mine was measured as 40 mA.

Can you try a different meter for your measurements?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Invective

Default Meter timed out?

Originally Posted by Art161
I've never heard before that these cars have 0 mA parasitic draw. There are many circuits that are powered down, but still have some current draw. The lowest I've heard is about 20mA. Mine was measured as 40 mA.

Can you try a different meter for your measurements?

No other meter readily available. Thinking my meter timed out? Thinking there should be some draw obviously. I'll go with the last known reading: 100ma. Looking for an easy way to check the alternator without removing the intake manifold.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Invective

Default Update

No other meter readily available. Thinking my meter timed out? Thinking there should be sme draw obviously. I'll go with the last known reading: 100ma. Looking for an easy way to check the alternator without removing the intake manifold.
Update: Meter probe cable was plugged into the incorrect receptacle. Final meter reading after about 40 minutes was 30mA. Reconnected battery, set clock and have had no 'dead battery issues since - car sits for up to 4 weeks at a time. Still wondering if an incorrect battery hookup sequence causes something (smart module?) not to power down correctly and kill the battery over time?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Invective

Lightbulb

Update: Meter probe cable was plugged into the incorrect receptacle. Final meter reading after about 40 minutes was 30mA. Reconnected battery, set clock and have had no 'dead battery issues since - car sits for up to 4 weeks at a time. Still wondering if an incorrect battery hookup sequence causes something (smart module?) not to power down correctly and kill the battery over time?
I'm going with the 'battery cable hookup sequence', turn the radio off before turning the key off', and 'don't leave anything plugged into the power points'. Here it is nearly two years later and I haven't had a 'no start' since. Always connect positive first, negative last. Remove negative first and positive last - same with jumper cables.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 AM
kt318

Default dead battery locked out key doesnt work

hi I have a 2006 mustang gt the battery is dead and the car is locked. is there anyway in the car other than using a locksmith??? we can get the trunk opened but the key does not work in the drivers door. it must have been changed before bought car. is there a trick to getting in?
any input is appreciated. would a slim jim tool work?
Old 02-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have an '06 GT and I don't have any of these problems. My wife & I go on a 2 week vacation every year (going back to Hawaii this summer) and have never had any battery problems letting it sit there for 2 weeks. I never do anything special when I leave, just pull her into the garage and she starts fine when I get back.
I am guessing if you have a good battery and a good alternator, you shouldn't have any problems, or maybe I'm just lucky.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery