Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:25 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Went over to the garage today, disconnected the charger and fired it up. The only thing I had left turned on before the battery went dead was the Shaker 500 stereo. Ran the car around the block a couple of times and put it back in the garage with everything turned off before I removed the key. We'll see if the Shaker stereo might be the culprit.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:20 PM
06YellowGT

If you have the security system, you should have the larger Gr. 40R battery (60Ah). I know it's not a perfect solution, but maybe worth checking to make sure you have the 40R instead of the smaller 96R (52Ah) battery.

It buys a little bit of extra capacity.

Many stores will check the battery and charging system (but not for small 'leaks') with a handheld device. Youir Ford dealer has this too, it's a Rotunda Midtronics tester. It will test the battery state of heath, the starter, and charging system, and is very accurate.

I'd suggest first making sure the battery / charging system has no faults before trying to trace down smaller drains, which can be hard to identify.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 AM
tempman

I've had dead battery problems as well with my 05 GT standing for just 2 days - after 1 day its a little hesitant when starting.

having trawed several forums It is clear this is a common issue !

This is where I am up to: a quote from my post on another forum :- dead battery

"
Ok, I just got in from testing my cars current drain in the cold -2.0c which for us brits is chilly!

the car has been stood for a 24 hours & before I started, I checked the battery voltage and it was down from 12.4 yesterday to 11.8v !

I unclamped the negative cable from the battery and used an amp meter in line between the negative post on the battery & the cable .

for the first 30 secs or so the amps fluctuated around 2 to 2.5 amps then settled at a steady 1.1amps during this time the interior light stayed on . I couldnt see from the manual which fuse to pull to turn it off so I just opened & closed the drivers door to force it to switch itself off. that done the amps reading dropped to a steady 0.39amps

then I pulled the shaker 1000 amp fuses - fuse 6 & fuse 9 . Fuse 6 caused a drop to 0.12 amps . Fuse 9 made no difference, I then prceeded to pull in turn every other fuse and relay in the power box under the hood but no change from 0.12 amps. I tried the fuses inside the car but could easily get to them all so only pulled about half. no change to the amperage though.

so in the end I pulled both shaker 1000 fuses ie 6& 9. and the amperage remained at 0.12amps.

there is clearly something wrong with the fuse 6 circuit but I dont know how to proceed from here.

The car just about fired up & after running it for 10 mins or so the battery voltage was 12.80 . I guess I need to check it again tomorrow to see if the voltage loss is reduced."
does anyone here know if 0.12 amps is a reasonable current draw when everything is "off"`including the alarm ??

I am in the Uk so cant get any warranty help from Ford.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Bdog604

Instead of getting a new battery or disconectingv the battery do what i did. I had the same problem.I use my 2005 Mustang GT as a showcar so it sits in the garage for weeks at a time and the battery went dead 2 or three times. So i bought a battery tender. the battery tender is about $60-$70 dollars but is well worth it. The battery tender just plugs into the wall and is like jumper cables and hooks on to the battery only you leave it on all the time and when the battery gets lower then what it should be it will start charging it and when tis back up it will turn off. My battery hasnt gone dead in a year in a half to 2 years. They also said that it was from the alarm so i turned it off and it still went dead but now that i have the battery tender it hasnt gone dead ever since i got it.

These are old pictures of my mustang i have gotton stripes and a muffler put on it.

10' White stripes

Flowmasters Muffler

[IMG]local://upfiles/26770/F47E04C187154750A41A6A21979DC81C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26770/1F8FC9C4B401447189E1B64FF13968F5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Veight

This is a wide spread issue. I heard about it before I bought my 05 Rousch GT.
I saw used Mustangs on the dealers lots with dead batteries.
I experienced it first hand last week. I was under the weather and was not sure exactly what was going on. The car did not start, the clock reset, the windows did not move. I went directly to the battery charger. BUT I did notice that the charger only charged 1-2 amps. That is not a dead battery. The car started but failed to start again when I backed it out. I checked the battery with a voltmeter across the post and measured 12.1 volts. Since it was the second time I have driven the car, it started the next try so I went for a drive. I think I am looking at a bad connection also or only. I have heard of 2 other Mustang owners with this battery issue.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
RCFallis

Today is the first time I checked with Google on my battery problem "2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery" (several post.)

We purchased new our fire red metallic 2005 Mustang GT in April of 05. (Love the car) Twice I have gone out and uncovered the GT only to discover the battery was completely discharged. Upon jump starting the car I checked to see if any interior lights/Map lights, ect had been left in the "On" position and NO! Nothing had been left in the on position.

I did notice that once the jumper cables were connected to the battery I could hear the windshield wiper motor trying to park the wipers. Hovever, the wipers were not up and not moving. It just sounded like the wiper motor was having trouble returning to the parked position (mechanic term.)

I always wash the GT before returning it to storage and installing the car cover. So I know the windshield wipers get used just shortly before parking the car. The cause will be discovered. Let me know if you hear first.

RCFallis
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

I bought an automatic battery charger at walmart. It was very inexpensive and keeps my battery charged when I leave the car for over a week. Forget complaining to Ford. They are putting a deaf ear to the issue.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Ericksonlaw

Last year I bought my daughter a 2005 V-6 Mustang for a graduation present.

I bought the GT grille and fog lights and had these installed at the local Ford dealer using nothing but Ford parts, relays, etc.

She goes to University in Toronto and the car is parked most of the time.

From about July 2006 onwards virtually every time she went to start the car, she found that the battery was dead and she had to get it boosted. This must have happened a dozen or more times.

Ford said it was a faulty battery and replaced it. The problem was not the battery.

The car finally went into a service facility in Toronto and they identified the problem. The problem is the relay which powers the GT fog lights. This is a live relay and has a small but constant electrical drain. Under normal circumstances where the car is driven daily it is not a problem, but when it is parked for a long time it definitely is.

The original relay was not faulty – it was designed to be powered all the time – Ford engineers apparently overlooked the fact that some cars are driven so infrequently or for such short distances that the battery never gets fully charged and the small drain is more than the battery can handle.

In this case, the repair shop changed out the relay and went to a different type of relay. If anyone out there is experiencing the same problem, contact Yorkdale Ford, Att: Jack Iaboni, Service Manager fax no. (416) 787-3964. I am sure he will tell you the part number of the replacement fog light relay. This relay is only powered when the ignition is "on" and does not drain the battery down when the ignition is "off."
Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 AM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

I just went out and started my '07 GT after it had been sitting for over two weeks. No problem, headlights came on after unlocking the doors, etc. Had to let her run for a half hour though to burn the moisture out of the exhaust. Will check again in three weeks. BTW the Shaker 500 is off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53664/9DECC7BB0E0048439D32DCBC29209FA0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Battery tender plus Great product!

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery