Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

I have a 2006 Mustang GT. I have had the car now for a year and it is at 10,000 miles. I have never had any battery issues, whether I left my phone charging overnight or if I accidently left the cell phone charger plugged in. Even leaving the car parked for a week or two has never drained my battery dead. Then, one night about a month ago, I go into the garage to retrieve something from my car and I noticed that the passenger side front signal is on. I immediately thought that I must have accidently left my parking lights on. However, this was not the case. The only light that was on was the passenger side front signal. Istarted the car up, turned on all my lights, turned off the lights and then turned off the car.The passenger sidefront signal would not go off. The next morning,I was barely able to start up the carso I let it sit running for a few minutes to rejuice the battery. However, the light would still not go off. Later that evening,I tried to start up the car and it was dead. The next morning, I got a jump start from AAA.Iinterestingly enough, thefrontsignal was no longer on. Perplexed by this odd situation, I brought the car into my local Ford Dealershipfor a diagnostic. They of course could not find anything. It has been about a month and it has not happened again.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

I just went out and checked mine. Dead as a door nail. It's been sitting for a couple weeks now. It sat for a few weeks back in November and the battery survived, but I must have left the stereo on when I shut it off last time. It sounds like, as other have specualted, that for some reason the shaker drains the battery even when the car is off. Kind of lame.

Dave Kegel
Old 01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

The product I use is called a "Battery Companion". It works great, costs a little over $17 at Walmart. It charges at 1.5A and automatically shuts off when the battery is charged. Look in the Battery Dept. by the battery display to find it.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Well sure, I have one of those "battery tenders" for my SHO when it's put away for the winter.It sits for several months, and only has a small Odyssey racebattery in it.But I shouldn't have to put a chargeron a full size battery in abrand new car that's only sitting fortwo-three weeks. Realistically, these batteries should last months if the car's just sitting there.

Dave Kegel
Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 AM
beefrits

I had my 07 GT 3 weeks when the battery died after not being driven for 2 days. Hooked up a charger, let it charge for 2 hours, cranked it and it fired up fine. Disconnected the charger, let it sit for 2 hours.....dead again. Ford replaced the battery and it hasn't happened since. I'm hoping it's solved but from the posts I'm feeling insecure.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Just to let you guys know, my battery on my 06 was stone dead after sitting in the garage for a week. I've got the automatic charger on it now. I don't understand it either.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

My sister works at the local dealership and they havefive '07s on the lot. She told me that one of them always needs a jump start after sitting a couple weeks. One out of five, hmm. So far mine has no issues with this.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
wentzjoa

We bought a 2005 Roush Mustang GT in October 05. When we originally went to test drive one of the Roush GT's on the lot, the battery was dead. The dealer came out and jumped it for us, telling us that it had been sitting for a long time. We ended up purchasing one of the other Roush GT's on the lot. When we went to pick up the car it would not start. The salesman again came out and jumped the battery. We drove it home and the next time we tried to start it, the battery was dead again...after a 30 minute drive. We called the dealership and they replaced the battery for us. The battery died on us another time in July 06, and we had the car towed to the dealership because it would not jump start. The service dept claimed that they "fixed it right" this time, and we received the car back again. We didn't have a problem again until just this week...the car would not start once again. We never let it sit for a long period of time and this past week we had used it on a regular basis. Whenever the car won't start the windows are partly down and the stereo goes nuts. I have also had occasions when the car DID start and the stereo made strange noises for about 10-20 seconds or so. There is definitely something wrong with these cars. Lemon law anyone???? We just had the car picked up and towed back to the dealership a third time.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

When we got our gt in march of 05 it did this the first time i left it in the garage for two weeks. windows were part way down and everything was dead. 5 min on the charger it starts right up. Took it to ford they kept it two weeks and found nothing. Now i just shut the shaker off before i park it and have had no problems. It sits for weeks at a time and has always started since
Old 02-01-2007, 12:04 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

I read somewhere one time about this problem before everyone realized they were having this problem. A guy had the problem with his car going dead over a period of time of it just sitting. The dealership went thru a lot but eventually found out it was the Shaker. I dont remember the details, but what was basically going on was he would turn the car off, the head unit would turn off, but the amps for the speakers werent turning off. They fixed whatever was wrong with the shaker, and it fixed his problem.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery