Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Trans. Loud When Changing Gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Manual Trans. Loud When Changing Gears

So I was crawling in traffic last night and noticed that when rolling at about 5-10 m.p.h. and putting into 1st it made a loud "cluck" going into gear.

I tried the same thing while rolling putting it into 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th.....same noise. Seems way too loud to me.

BTW, its an 06 GT. Anyone else notice this issue?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:35 AM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual Trans. Loud When Changing Gears

Mine is pretty loud as well I think its just that the transmission is very noisy.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Secter
1st Gear Member

Yea, mine makes a click noise for each gear, but its more of a good click. Just seems like the normal "clicking" sound when shifting. I would say its more of a gearbox click, not a tranny click.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Have you tried pushing in on the clutch peddle when chaning gears?

Just kidding!

I've seen a few people posting about shifting problems... I believe many of them had some work done at the dealerships and changed out their shifters to help.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:17 PM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

same here............i think our gearbox is just a pice of ****.........sometime i feel like i need a hammer to put it into gear or change gears......but then again no wonder, my tranny is made in mexico and others are made in france. Lol
Old 01-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Just posted something similiar...I have had several cars and this tranny and rear end scare me with the noises they are making....
Old 01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have same issue. Apparently it's not really a problem, just sounds horrible I'm too lazy to take it to the dealership, but maybe I'll end-up asking them to look at it when/if those rattles break me down and force me to go to the dealership anyway!

Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 PM
DHG#3703

These are the same transmissions that Ford started using in the BULLITTS in 2001. These transmissions are real junk. If I didn't love the mustangs soo much, I would never own another until they put in a different manufacturer of the tranny. My bullitt is basically a garage queen, I put only 4000 miles on it since new. So far i have had the transmission out and rebuilt due to bent internal shift forks from the factory. This in turn caused second and third syncos and gears to grind. Ford replaced the parts under a TSB kit at no cost to me. It is just the principle that a 41 year old collector that doesn't hot rod or drive the car very much for that matter has to have his tranny rebuilt. I bitched to the dealer when I bought my 05 that if the tranny made any noises, I was not taking the car. Fortunately for me this tranny shifts smooth as silk.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

HA! I knew those were made in mexico!!! Viva Las Transmission [:'(] This is putting a crimp on my mustang GT decision. ANy good stories involved with its tranny? I'm really reaching here...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Mostly annoyances, no real problems so far: the "clunking" noise if not RPM-matched (that - you get used to) and then the only other thing is the vibration noises fron the interior #3k RPM, mostly when cold.

ORIGINAL: Juntech

HA! I knew those were made in mexico!!! Viva Las Transmission [:'(] This is putting a crimp on my mustang GT decision. ANy good stories involved with its tranny? I'm really reaching here...

Quick Reply: Manual Trans. Loud When Changing Gears