Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new stang or 98-02 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
98firebird

Default new stang or 98-02 ws6

which one do you think i should get. being on a ford website i can already predict the answer but i figured ill ask anyway
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
FMullegun

Default RE: new stang or 98-02 ws6

Do you want a nice new car or a used one? i think that alone will be the answer.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:23 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

The WS6 is a hot motor in a ok shell, while the Mustang is a hot shell with a hot motor. I really like the late model TAs for the chaotic styling that bugs most people, but I always hated the rollerskate stance courtesy of the short wheelbase with huge overhangs.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:37 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i say 03 /04 cobra or mach 1
Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I haven't a clue what a 98-02 ws6 is? Is that a subrau?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

^^ ..........you're joking....right?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want a quick car that is going to be cheaper to pick up get a 98 F-body. The '02 F-bodies in really good shape go for almost as much as a new stang. I love the look of my stang, the interior, and the feel. Stock for stock the LS1 is a little quicker than the Mustang however in my opinion the Mustang does everything else better which I like. I wanted an all around good car, not one that is just fast in a straight line. I want comfort and convenience and the Mustang has given me that.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Nut Case

I own a 2006 Mustang GT and my buddy recently bought a super clean, well keep, and totally stock '98 Trans AM. So, I've recently driven both. Here is my assessment.

'98 Trans AM
Pros
- Awesome power for the money he picked the car up for.
- Super Hero "Batman" styling if you like that kind of thing (not too bad in my opinion though many will disagree)
- 6 speed manual tranny

Cons
- Difficult to get in and out of
- Poor visablity compared to the new Mustang
- I always get the feeling the F-bodies were Corvette want to be's caught ackwardly between sports car and muscle car
- The Trans AM had a bit of a buck board feel. The chassis has a lot more flex than the new Mustangs and you can really feel it on a rough road.
- Materials often seem very cheap - The cloth seat will look like crap after a few years - leather is a little better though
- Stock shifter really sucks fells like rowing a boat - Mustangs stock shifter is much much (But there is always afterward shifter to address this)

New Mustang
Pros
- Mustangs chassis is superior in almost every way
- Mustang looks and feels like a proper Muscle Car, but far smoother and more refined than any muscle car from the "good old days"
- Good gas mileage for a engine with 300+ HP
- To me the Mustangs is just a better drive with a boat load of power to get you into trouble

Cons
- New Mustang will cost more
- 3V Mod motor doesn't have quite the low end torgue of the LS1

In general if the difference in money isn't an issue, get a shiney new 2006 Mustang GT. First of all it's a new car that hasn't seen abused. Second, it just plan drives better. Maybe the TA is just a bit faster in a straight line, but I don't care I. I am old enough I really care to prove anything. I just want to enjoy a fun, fast, refined, reasonablely price, and good looking American car. Hands down the Mustang is all of that and more.

Good luck either way you go.

Nut Case

Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nut Case

I own a 2006 Mustang GT and my buddy recently bought a super clean, well keep, and totally stock '98 Trans AM. So, I've recently driven both. Here is my assessment.

'98 Trans AM
Pros
- Awesome power for the money he picked the car up for.
- Super Hero "Batman" styling if you like that kind of thing (not too bad in my opinion though many will disagree)
- 6 speed manual tranny

Cons
- Difficult to get in and out of
- Poor visablity compared to the new Mustang
- I always get the feeling the F-bodies were Corvette want to be's caught ackwardly between sports car and muscle car
- The Trans AM had a bit of a buck board feel. The chassis has a lot more flex than the new Mustangs and you can really feel it on a rough road.
- Materials often seem very cheap - The cloth seat will look like crap after a few years - leather is a little better though
- Stock shifter really sucks fells like rowing a boat - Mustangs stock shifter is much much (But there is always afterward shifter to address this)

New Mustang
Pros
- Mustangs chassis is superior in almost every way
- Mustang looks and feels like a proper Muscle Car, but far smoother and more refined than any muscle car from the "good old days"
- Good gas mileage for a engine with 300+ HP
- To me the Mustangs is just a better drive with a boat load of power to get you into trouble

Cons
- New Mustang will cost more
- 3V Mod motor doesn't have quite the low end torgue of the LS1

In general if the difference in money isn't an issue, get a shiney new 2006 Mustang GT. First of all it's a new car that hasn't seen abused. Second, it just plan drives better. Maybe the TA is just a bit faster in a straight line, but I don't care I. I am old enough I really care to prove anything. I just want to enjoy a fun, fast, refined, reasonablely price, and good looking American car. Hands down the Mustang is all of that and more.

Good luck either way you go.

Nut Case

+10[8D]
Old 02-22-2006, 10:18 PM
nvader

As a previous 10 year owner of a 4th Gen F-body. I wouldn't trade the new stang for one. Yes the WS6 is a little quicker stock for stock but as said above the stang does everything else better. I love the ride of the stang.

IMO though, a black WS6 is one of the most awesome looking cars on the planet.

Quick Reply: new stang or 98-02 ws6