Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Just wrapped up installing HIDs in my '10 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I want to go with a 35w 5000k kit to give stock appearance. I can't seem to convince myself to pull the trigger though
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I want to go with a 35w 5000k kit to give stock appearance. I can't seem to convince myself to pull the trigger though
I have the 35w 5000k HIDs and they look awesome. Very bright white, not blue at all, and man do they light up the night! I'd recommend getting them from retro solutions (you can find them on here by searching). The reason I recommend them is that they now add "caps" to the end of their bulbs, which displaces the beam more evenly than those without the caps. The caps also prevent you from blinding the heck out of oncoming traffic. Some places have coatings on the end of their bulbs which will probably end up burning off, leaving you with a scattered beam pattern.

Last edited by discodave; 11-23-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
I have the 35w 5000k HIDs and they look awesome. Very bright white, not blue at all, and man do they light up the night! I'd recommend getting them from retro solutions (you can find them on here by searching). The reason I recommend them is that they now add "caps" to the end of their bulbs, which displaces the beam more evenly than those without the caps. The caps also prevent you from blinding the heck out of oncoming traffic. Some places have coatings on the end of their bulbs which will probably end up burning off, leaving you with a scattered beam pattern.
You aren't making my situation any easier LOL. I think I'll ask my wife to get me these for Christmas. I'm considering 55w but is it really necessary? Additional light output couldn't hurt but I'd like to stay low on a police officers radar.

Thanks for the heads up about the "capping service"!! I thought the $50 coating was the only way to go. Sounds like a better solution than coating.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Two very important points need to be made here:

1) Most 2006, and all 2007+ Mustangs should not install HID kits into their lamps without purchasing from Retro-Solutions with the bulb capping service, there is nothing in those lamps to block directly emitted light through the bulb tops. They simply will blind other drivers like pointing a flashlight in someone's face at night, and no other manufacturer, vendor, or reseller is offering any coating or capping service.

2) There are only two companies in the US to provide real 55w (and/or 50w) HID kits in the US. One is Retro-Solutions, the other is exclusive to Ebay. All other companies advertising 50w/55w kits are offering 50w ballasts and overpowered 35w bulbs in a kit. This mismatching of generic equipment has its drawbacks, as indicated below.

35w bulb with 50w/55w ballast (most brands):
1) higher temperature output, may damage housings
2) higher arc position, equates to more glare
3) lower color temperature, K color decreases or "color wash-out"
4) reduced lifespan of the bulbs
5) reduced output, inefficiency leads to less than advertised output
6) internal pressure closer to maximum (~60-75w peak), explosion hazard

55w bulbs and 55w ballasts (like DIGITAL 55w brand from Retro-Solutions):
1) lower temperature, safe for housings, produces less than 55w halogen bulb
2) spaced cathodes, same arc position, no increase in glare
3) color correct specification, you order 5000k you get 5000k
4) bulb lifespan maintained
5) efficiency maintained, better efficiency in terms of output
6) internal peak pressure rating of bulbs is greater

Please be very careful in making your decisions, because vendors typically misrepresent their product or withold important information on purpose.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

That's fine, I paid 340 for fogs and heads, and one thing I've learned is with a 2010, if anything I look at don't specifically say for 2010, not even considered, I did that on a couple things already, "oh that has been on every stang since '05" and so order a nope don't work, be it a 3 pod pillar, halo fog lights, and as a side note, '10 fog lights are smaller than anyother year, 4.6 3Valve, yeah right, buy valve cover gaskets for a '09 and put on your '10 when you swap out valve covers, you'll be sticking your old ones back on if not worn, cuz got to trim the new ones you just brought that are for '05 to '09 so when I'm surfing for parts a don't find multiple dealers that are mustang specific, I find one with decent rep. and roll dice, day I put my HID'S i started car turned on both lights for 30 mins idling and hardly warm, and for brights, although they are true HID low and high, i only need low and fogs if rollin down road without traffic, but if all these damn suv's and 350 and 250 trucks can run there super bright lights that don't hit back of car , but are lined up with your head, heck with it, live with my daylight at night.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 11-23-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
No offense to stang mods, but their HIDs are WAAAAAY overpriced.

$279 for a 35watt HID kit is outrageous. I paid $103 for a 55watt HID kit of the same specifications, same warranty, same bixenon bulbs. So, nearly a third the cost, and more powerful? WIN! And as far as quality, I have used 2 versions of the same brand HID kit in 2 different cars over the past 5 years. Not one single problem.

The only way I'd spend that much money on a HID kit is if it was a Phillips or Bosch based kit, and I was retrofitting HID lenses into my headlight assemblies.
I'm pretty sure that the 35w/55w number is referrring to how much power is used not the power output, as I had the 35w kit.....output was over 150w whilst consuming 35w.....that's what makes HID's so special.
It's my impression that the 55w kit will CONSUME 55w of power (more than the 35 obviously) and will output about the same.
Now I could be wrong but that's what i have gathered from MY studies with HIDs and kits thereof.

I am about to order VVME''s kit.....86 bucks 35w power consumption 150+ output.

if I were you I would order from there if you don't care about warranty.....but stangmods is the last kit I ordered on my last car....something happened with my harness and they replaced it free of charge twice! Great great great customer service and I would recommend them for anything!!!
They were prompt at responding to emails and very informative and meticulous with detail in their troubleshooting tips and installation tips.......I will always be a customer for stangmods as long as I have a mustang!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

yes these are 35w consume and high output, hey burn out, 5 min swap of stock bulbs in my glove box, and stang mods will send new bulbs no charge, so win win. never have to buy another bulb if lifetime on all parts include bulb.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

To reiterate.... some 2006 and all 2007+ even the 2010.... do not have bulb caps/covers in the head lamps.
That is why this is what oncoming traffic sees when a kit without proper coating or capping is installed:

there is no point to having a cutoff pattern built into the lamps with this, its the same as driving around with the high beams on

Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Retrosolutions
To reiterate.... some 2006 and all 2007+ even the 2010.... do not have bulb caps/covers in the head lamps.
How are the caps held onto the end of the bulbs? Epoxy? Is it guaranteed not to fall off?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
How are the caps held onto the end of the bulbs? Epoxy? Is it guaranteed not to fall off?
Mine have the caps on the end and before installing mine I could feel how tight those caps are on there. I'm sure retrosolutions can speak to it better, but they don't seem like they'd come off from normal wear. You'd actually have to pull and twist to get it to break off.

Quick Reply: Just wrapped up installing HIDs in my '10 GT