Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

My luck is terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
gt/cs07
2nd Gear Member

Default My luck is terrible!

Hello Everyone,

I haven't really posted in a while due to a lot of garbage around my 07 GT/CS. Well long story short the dealer did right by me and gave me an excellent trade on my 07 into a 2010 Black GT. I actually ended up paying less a month and saving money over the life of the loan on the new car. Well I went to perform the first mod that is where things went terribly wrong. The jack stand failed. I was able to get out from underneath the car before anything bad happened to me. However my car wasn't so lucky. When the jack stand failed the car shifted and the jack I had underneath as secondary support slid out and dented the LH quarter panel right above the rocker moulding in front of the LH rear wheel. The weird thing is there is no real damager we can find other than a dent. There is no paint damage and no crushed sections. It literally looks like someone just kicked the rocker panel and that was it. Now my car is on its way to the body shop yet again but this time with less than 250mi on the car. It will not be going to the dealer this time as they have no idea how to repair a car properly. I found a body shop that works primarily on hot rods. The guy is a bit more expensive but judging by the cars parked in front of his shop he does excellent work. When he looked at the car he laughed and said it would be his easiest job in 15 years. So I am crossing my fingers this is painless.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Get a good set of ramps. I hate using jacks unless I need to pull a wheel.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM
gt/cs07
2nd Gear Member

Had to pull the wheels as I was installing springs.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 AM
joekr
1st Gear Member

Ouch! Sorry to hear that happened.. I just had 11k worth of work done on my 2010..

I checked reviews on google maps and any other place I could find for my body shop.. Good luck on the body work!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Holy !@$##! When you say failed, what happened? Did it buckle?

I wish I hadn't read this, I'm about to go pull all 4 wheels off mine to paint the calipers...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 PM
gt/cs07
2nd Gear Member

The jack stand buckled and down came the car. It is just one of those things that barely ever happens but does happen. I am just happy I seen it coming before it came down. The car can be fixed. On the plus side it is giving me an excuse to get a new spoiler and window louvers while its being fixed.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Where did you your jackstands and what was the weight rating if you dont mind me asking?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Was your vehicle parked on a level surface?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM
gt/cs07
2nd Gear Member

The vehicle was on a flat level surface in my garage. Craftsman 4-ton jack stands were used. Only one failed. The car was lifted on the Ford recommended points. If the car didn't shift the jack I had in place as an added safety would have caught it. Being I was rolling out of the way at the time this is the best guess I can give as to what happened. Maybe the jack stand hit the jack. It is hard to say given my position.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

This is why I won't get under a car that is not either on ramps or a lift. I know the chance is miniscule but the thought of being squeezed to death by my car is somewhat unpleasant. Yes, I am paranoid about some things.

Glad you were able to make this post.

Quick Reply: My luck is terrible!