Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Tell me the truth about wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Tell me the truth about wheels!

I would have put this in the handling forum, but those guys would kill me for what am about to ask. So i am looking for wheels for my 10. I have been looking for 18" wheels, but I love the Shelby cs40 wheels I wanted them for my 05 and ended up not getting them. The only downside is that they only come in 20" size. I know the guys in the handling forums think anything over 19 pounds means you need your **** kicked. The question is how much of a difference do 20" wheels really make. I mean my car came with 19" wheels. I know the 20" and the 285 or 295 wheels will be heavier. But is it really going to make that big a difference in performance.

I mean assume the stock wheel and tire is 30 pounds and maybe the Shelby 20" wheel and tire will be 40 pounds. How much of a difference does it really make in performance for a guy who's not really that great a driver anyhow. I mean I will prolly do some track days and some autocross, but for fun not to break records and become the stig.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about it - go for it. I think 20s practically require that you lower the car, if you haven't already. I say required because the gap between the wheel well and tire seems to be exaggerated when you have larger wheels.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 AM
joekr
1st Gear Member

I love my 20's.. let people hate, it happens..

I agree regarding the lowering, but I don't have the coin for it right now, so it's gonna wait till next spring..

Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by joekr
I love my 20's.. let people hate, it happens..

I agree regarding the lowering, but I don't have the coin for it right now, so it's gonna wait till next spring..

for some reason it looks like you own an SUV almost with those....i like 20s too but they just dont look good in that picture at all
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
for some reason it looks like you own an SUV almost with those....i like 20s too but they just dont look good in that picture at all
you can change the oil without jacking it up
Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
joekr
1st Gear Member

that didn't take long..
Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

joekr, I love your car. I think it looks damn good.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM
joekr
1st Gear Member

Thanks. Here's my thing. Folks can bash all day about appearances..

"Your non-functional hood scoop is just there to keep 3m in business making tape.."

"Your rims make your car look like an SUV.."

"Your body kit looks like you are trying to assemble an aircraft...the wing in the back just makes it look worse..."

"Do the stickers on your car make it go faster??"

The list can go on and on.. It's all subjective. Do what you want. If you're happy, good for you.

Throwing rocks is easy. Anonymity of the internet makes it easier.. I choose not to join in.. If I like something I speak up. If I hate, I laugh and move on.. I've got better things to do.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joekr
Thanks. Here's my thing. Folks can bash all day about appearances..

"Your non-functional hood scoop is just there to keep 3m in business making tape.."

"Your rims make your car look like an SUV.."

"Your body kit looks like you are trying to assemble an aircraft...the wing in the back just makes it look worse..."

"Do the stickers on your car make it go faster??"

The list can go on and on.. It's all subjective. Do what you want. If you're happy, good for you.

Throwing rocks is easy. Anonymity of the internet makes it easier.. I choose not to join in.. If I like something I speak up. If I hate, I laugh and move on.. I've got better things to do.

I am not worried about what people think, i am mostly wondering if there is truly and really a different in the performance of a car moving from 18" or 19" wheels to 20" wheels. you hear people say a lot of things online, and most of them have no idea what they are talking about. they merely repeat what they have heard. I was wondering if someone had for instance been to the track on 18" and then went back after upgrading to 20"s and actually seen a difference in performance.

i know when i pout the 18" wheels and nito 555's on my 05 they were heavier than the stock 17" wheels. I could see someone thinking ht performance was hurt since the car woud;ln;t spin the wheels nay more after moving up to the sticky tires. some people might not relate the extra traction to the sticky and wide tires and think t extra weight hurt things. I am just wondering if there are any actual measured numbers out there.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:33 PM
joekr
1st Gear Member

Sorry man, the thread sorta left the tracks..

Both wife and spawn agree that the ride is a little busier than with the 18's, but not significant enough for them to notice until I prompted them "hey, does the ride feel any different?"

I can feel more road imperfections at higher speeds (75+) but other than that, I've been happy.

Hope someone else can give you a more technical answer..

Quick Reply: Tell me the truth about wheels!