Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

HELP on my new HIDS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
juicedup20
1st Gear Member

Default HELP on my new HIDS!

Ok on Sunday I put my retro solutions 35w HID kit in the 2010 stang. It worked until today when the drivers side only bulb went out.

Neither the low or high beams on that bulb works but the passenger side works fine?

Any ideas as the system is less than 48 hours installed?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Red ll iine GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by juicedup20
Ok on Sunday I put my retro solutions 35w HID kit in the 2010 stang. It worked until today when the drivers side only bulb went out.

Neither the low or high beams on that bulb works but the passenger side works fine?

Any ideas as the system is less than 48 hours installed?

Thanks!
contact retro..they will be quick about getting you a solution, or a new bulb/ballast
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

Make sure the ground is properly on.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Did the bulb blow? Did ya (or anyone) touch it when installing?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
juicedup20
1st Gear Member

Heres the plan when I get home. swap bulbs and see if its the bulb first.

Ensure the ground is intact and clean the area of the ground to ensure good connection.

If these still don't work any other ideas to test before filing warranty claim.

No neither of the bulbs were touched in the install process.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
bgmikejr2009

juicedup20,

I had this issue with my set from American Muscle, so what i did was I unplugged my ballast from the one side that worked and plugged it in to the side where the bulb didn't work to see if the bulb would work. The reason you move the ballast is so you don't have to mess with the bulb and risk messing it up in troubleshooting this.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that juiced!! Retro will definitely stand behind their product if indeed it is hardware failure. What you plan to do sounds like the best plan of action - try swapping bulbs, double check the ground, etc. Maybe the fuse blew or isn't seated all the way?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

When I installed mine they just flickered. I got all pissed and tried everything I could. I was so damn annoyed. I let it sit for a day, then went and tried again. All I had to do was make a better contact for the ground. Certain places didnt work even though I sanded paint away. On the drivers side getting a good ground was difficult for me. I tried putting it on the bolt that holds on the plastic shields for CAI kits. Yeah well that wasnt good, I ended up putting it near one of the bolts by the front of the hood. Then to my amazement it worked.

On another note, With Retro HID's, does the automatic headlight still work for anyone. If I put mine on automatic, theyre always on. While previously it would only kick in if it was dark.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I got a bulb from retro-solutions one time and it was damaged during shipping..... did the trouble shooting (swapping bulbs, etc.). They sent me a new one immediately. They definitely stand behind their product!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 PM
juicedup20
1st Gear Member

Update on the issue:
I left work today after letting the stang sit for 8+ hours and the bulb worked, so I'm thinking loose wire or iffy ground connection.

I drive to the gym and that same light is out again, come out of gym and the light works.

I think the issue was the ballast was mounted to close to a hot part of the engine and was cutting off. I moved the ballast tonight to a much cooler location in the crowded engine bay and am hoping this alleviates the problem

I'll let you guys so hopefully this thread will help others with HID issues because when it works this kit is sweet!

Quick Reply: HELP on my new HIDS!