Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > 2010-current S197 Appearance Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Anyone installing 2011 side mirror glass on 2010?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #41
Adam
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: '68 GT Fastback, '10 Premium GT

Thanks for reporting back dconfer. Looks like it's not a simple swap like originally anticipated.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #42
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT

The next step, then, would be complete new mirrors. I imagine, as the car is aesthetically the exact same, the mirrors should bolt to the car in the exact same way. The only logical difference could be a different wiring harness clip, but I doubt that as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #43
auburnmiz

Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang V6
Smile MIRRORS INSTALLED!

I bought the part and also asked my dealer to install. They also said the clips are different and that it would not fit but told me that they would take the part back. Went to the parts department, and the guy who ordered the part said that it makes no sense because the motor part number is identical for 2010 and 2011 and that the mirror only clips to the motor. He came around the back with me, we popped off the old mirror and saw a metal clip that was in a slightly different spot but it seemed to have no function except maybe to prevent the mirrors from turning too far out if you hold the power mirror button. But the clips that actually secure the mirror were identical. In 2 minutes, we popped the new mirrors on and they are secure and move properly. They make a big difference and I recommend them to anyone. To take the old mirror off, just tilt the mirrors up and in as far as they go. Then stick a screwdriver about dead center on the bottom between the plastic backing on the mirror and the motor and the glass pops right off (clean out any bee hive you might have in there like i did!). To replace the mirror, just angle the new glass in the same position, and press in the center until it clicks in. Glad I didn't listen to the service department.
auburnmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #44
Adam
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnmiz View Post
I bought the part and also asked my dealer to install. They also said the clips are different and that it would not fit but told me that they would take the part back. Went to the parts department, and the guy who ordered the part said that it makes no sense because the motor part number is identical for 2010 and 2011 and that the mirror only clips to the motor. He came around the back with me, we popped off the old mirror and saw a metal clip that was in a slightly different spot but it seemed to have no function except maybe to prevent the mirrors from turning too far out if you hold the power mirror button. But the clips that actually secure the mirror were identical. In 2 minutes, we popped the new mirrors on and they are secure and move properly. They make a big difference and I recommend them to anyone. To take the old mirror off, just tilt the mirrors up and in as far as they go. Then stick a screwdriver about dead center on the bottom between the plastic backing on the mirror and the motor and the glass pops right off (clean out any bee hive you might have in there like i did!). To replace the mirror, just angle the new glass in the same position, and press in the center until it clicks in. Glad I didn't listen to the service department.
So you didn't remove the metal clip that seemed to have no function? A completely unmodified 2011 mirror fits on your 2010?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #45
auburnmiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So you didn't remove the metal clip that seemed to have no function? A completely unmodified 2011 mirror fits on your 2010?
Did not need to remove the clip because it just went into the empty space. On the 2010 the clip (actually a one inch long metal prong) is on the portion of the mirror furthest from the car toward the middle and seems to rest along the plastic on the inside of the mirror housing. On the 2010, the prong is about an inch lower and does not rest against the side but just goes into a void. I guess if you wanted to, you could move the prong up with epoxy but the mirror moves properly and does not vibrate so I felt no need to move the prong. I have a photo of the prong on the 2011 but I'm not sure how to upload it here. Didn't have my camera with me when we pulled the 2010 mirrors off.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #46
Adam
4th Gear Member

Quote:
I have a photo of the prong on the 2011 but I'm not sure how to upload it here. Didn't have my camera with me when we pulled the 2010 mirrors off.
Upload it to http://imageshack.us/ then post the URL here.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #47
auburnmiz

Quote:

Let's see if this works. The prong is in the 4 o'clock position on the 2011. For the 2010, it is in the 3 o'clock position.

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #48
Adam
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Let's see if this works. The prong is in the 4 o'clock position on the 2011. For the 2010, it is in the 3 o'clock position.

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php
Didn't work. After you upload the file you can click on it and it will give you several different types of URLs - paste the one that says "Direct URL".
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #49
auburnmiz

Quote:
I think these are the correct URLs.

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/img0113nz.jpg/

http://img245.imageshack.us/i/img0114r.jpg/

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/img0115d.jpg/
Old 09-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #50
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang V6 Sunset Gold

When they told me they would not fit, They said that clip was used for vibration. I wonder what is different inside the 11 that they moved this clip. After reading the post that they fit on the 11 I called the parts dept to see if they returned the mirrors yet. They still have them so I told them not to return them I will come and pick them up. Didnt get to it on Friday but I am off on Tuesday having a new furnace installed so I will go pick them up and put them on myself.
dconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #51
Adam
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconfer View Post
When they told me they would not fit, They said that clip was used for vibration. I wonder what is different inside the 11 that they moved this clip. After reading the post that they fit on the 11 I called the parts dept to see if they returned the mirrors yet. They still have them so I told them not to return them I will come and pick them up. Didnt get to it on Friday but I am off on Tuesday having a new furnace installed so I will go pick them up and put them on myself.
Cool, sounds good! If you could snap some pics during the process it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #52
dconfer
1st Gear Member

I went to pickup the mirrors from the parts dept and the service guy seen me and said what are you buying now. Told him that the mirrors will fit into my car so I was going to try it myself, he said give them to me and he took my car and they did put the mirrors on. I am not sure if I like the looks of them or not. They stick out further then the orig ones as you can see by the photos if that worked. I play my music loud and the do vibrate when the music is playing. Also when you turn the mirrors inward they will go further then they should and they make a snaping noise so I will have to watch how far I move them. For now they will stay but over time I am not sure but I do have the orig mirrors to put back on.

100_0348.jpg

100_0349.jpg

100_0350.jpg

100_0351.jpg

100_0352.jpg
Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #53
auburnmiz

Quote:
I went to pickup the mirrors from the parts dept and the service guy seen me and said what are you buying now. Told him that the mirrors will fit into my car so I was going to try it myself, he said give them to me and he took my car and they did put the mirrors on. I am not sure if I like the looks of them or not. They stick out further then the orig ones as you can see by the photos if that worked. I play my music loud and the do vibrate when the music is playing. Also when you turn the mirrors inward they will go further then they should and they make a snaping noise so I will have to watch how far I move them. For now they will stay but over time I am not sure but I do have the orig mirrors to put back on.

Attachment 23315

Attachment 23316

Attachment 23317

Attachment 23318

Attachment 23319
Are you sure your mirrors are snapped in all the way? I have cranked my music up and have driven over bumpy roads and my mirrors do not vibrate at all. Also, yours appear to be sticking out a bit more from what I can see.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #54
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Are you sure your mirrors are snapped in all the way? I have cranked my music up and have driven over bumpy roads and my mirrors do not vibrate at all. Also, yours appear to be sticking out a bit more from what I can see.
I checked the mirrors last night, I removed them and put them back on. They are in place. Took the car on the highway last night for the first time and really like the mirrors they work great. But with the vibrations I am thinking about going back to the orig mirrors. Auburnmiz could you post pictures with your mirrors in place I would like to see them.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #55
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Vehicle: 2011 Shelby GT500
Send a message via AIM to wilkinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by conejo172 View Post
Agreed! If its that bad go to the autoparts store and spend less than ten bucks on a small convex mirror, and problem solved.
Except those look like crap

Current:
* 2013 Shelby GT500 in custom 1 of 1 color | SVTPP Pkg | Glass Roof | Red-line Hood Struts | BBR Shorty Antenna | Expel Ultimate Clear Bra
* 2012 Ford Explorer Limited - Tuxedo black
wilkinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #56
auburnmiz

Quote:
I checked the mirrors last night, I removed them and put them back on. They are in place. Took the car on the highway last night for the first time and really like the mirrors they work great. But with the vibrations I am thinking about going back to the orig mirrors. Auburnmiz could you post pictures with your mirrors in place I would like to see them.
Here are some photos. I don't know if you can tell, but my glass does not stick out beyond the black frame. I didn't do this myself, but maybe you can bend the metal tab (or epoxy something in the mirror case) so that the tab rests against something to reduce vibration. I have a V6 with the Shaker 500 so I am guessing your vibration either comes from a V8 or Shaker 1000.

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/img0117x.jpg/

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/img0116tnk.jpg/
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #57
dconfer
1st Gear Member

I have a V6 plus the nav system so I have the shaker 500 also. Thank you for the pictures.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #58
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDance View Post
If I had a 2011 I would swap to the 2010. Mirrors work well when you adjust them properly and then you don't need blind spot mirrors!
LOL exactly. I've had the huge *** mirrors on my '05 properly adjusted to see any blind spots since day one and have never had to turn my head to check.
JLT, DiabloSport, Eibach, Toyo, FRPP, BMR, Silver Horse Racing, Hooker, MAC, Hurst, MRT

Toyota sucks - why? here and here
MTAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #59
rhood

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

Just put the 2011 mirrors on my 2010 GT last night they fit perfect

Thanks auburnmiz
Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #60
Adam
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Just put the 2011 mirrors on my 2010 GT last night they fit perfect

Thanks auburnmiz
The glass doesn't stick out further than the 2010 glass?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2010, 2011, accessories, assembly, glass, gt, install, installed, mirror, mirrors, mustang, replace, roof, side, view, zbrace