Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Hood vents and Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Jball001

Default Hood vents and Intakes

I'm looking around for a new hood and some advertise functional hood vents. Now my question is since i have a steeda CAI will the vents and water be a problem for my engine bay?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I have the AFE intake on my 2013, and it's not directly below the vents, AND it utilizes the very good feature which Ford made, the intake ducting that goes from the front bumper is still used to push cold air into the intake. Here's a quick picture from the top installed:

And you see here on this next picture, the intake opening on the bottom that looks like a rectangle? That's where it factory connects to the intake ducting so that it can force feed cold air while you're driving. Not a lot of competitors utilized this so you'll want to make sure you're ordering the best system available:

If you're worried about water still, then I would suggest getting a pre filter which looks like the picture below. I have one on my mustang, and it covers the filter, and is water resistant, so if you get any dribbles of water or even a decent amount of water (as long as it's not submerged), you wont have any issues:

Hope that helps! PM me if you need any further help!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Jball001

Okay, so from what I'm getting out of this is that just a little dribble won't hurt?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You won't see that much water even with a ram air scoop in the rain. There shouldn't be any intrusion into the intake unless you're driving under water. Even if there was a lot of water that somehow got thrown into the ram air and fell over the CAI the same vent pulling air in from the bottom would be where the water would immediately exit. a thing called gravity and the fact that WATER is much denser than AIR and will naturally and rapidly seek a downward exit path.

I recommend the Steeda CAI. the tubing is much larger than the one on that AFE intake. Which allows for more unrestricted airflow. It does however require a tune since the MAF sensor will cause the car to run lean with the added airflow. But the power gains are awesome.

A lot of the hoods made by Tru-Fiber and AIT will also provide functional ram air scoops integrated into their design. And even heat extractors that in many cases are more efficient than the FORD OEM ones.

CERVINI hoods are mentioned a lot on these forums.... BUT... unless something changed recently , you'll be paying a lot for just the looks since they aren't functional. Except for maybe being a few lbs lighter than the stock hoods. But even then...the later model 2011 and up stangs have light aluminum hoods anyway. so there's not much for arguing they are lighter. If they do have a functional ram air with outlets that exhust right above the CAI location then that is a plus.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 01-17-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:41 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jball001
Okay, so from what I'm getting out of this is that just a little dribble won't hurt?
Nope, a little dribble wont hurt. I could pour a bottle of water onto the intake (not chugging it out, but still), without any issues
Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Stangette

I had a functional ram air in the 02 when I was in TN it was great until the floods in 2010. I was wondering if there is some similar way to make the stock hoods functional and still drain away from the motor and air intake? The ram air system had drain tubes that fired the water away from the engine in hoses they just weren't big enough to handle the amount of water we got in the floods.