Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Questions about paint/MF towels

Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Default Questions about paint/MF towels

Hi, I have some questions for you knowledgeable guys

In the awesome shots of 05xrunner's car, the reflection is almost mirror-like. I was looking at my car a week ago and I realized my paint had a serious orange peel effect. Granted, my car isn't clean right now, but when I look into the paint at an angle, all I see are bumps and unclear reflections.

1. 05xrunner, does your car not have the orange peel effect at all? It looks so damn awesome. Looking at my car, it makes me doubt that any amount of washing or waxing could make it look remotely as good as yours.

2. Is there anyway to get rid of the orange peel effect on my car other than repaint? Can a detail shop remove the effect a certain degree, if not completely? Strapped for cash right now, but I was wondering if there was a reasonably priced method of improving the car's finish.

3. I have a few microfiber towels for drying. After I finish drying my car, I just hang them in my bathroom, which then takes a few days to fully dry. I don't hang the MF towels outside due to the obvious risk of contaminants such as dirt and bugs getting all over them. How do you guys dry your towels? Can I throw them into the dryer? Can I wash them? Is there a recommended way to wash or dry the towels?

Thank you

EDIT: I apologize. I meant to post this in 05xrunner's thread (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...ng-pretty.html), but I had multiple tabs open.

Last edited by JimmyM; 12-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Teggsan

Orange peel is there to stay, unless you repaint. I have it on my car too, worse than I would like.

For the microfiber towels, just throw them in the dryer.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM

3. I have a few microfiber towels for drying. After I finish drying my car, I just hang them in my bathroom, which then takes a few days to fully dry. I don't hang the MF towels outside due to the obvious risk of contaminants such as dirt and bugs getting all over them. How do you guys dry your towels? Can I throw them into the dryer? Can I wash them? Is there a recommended way to wash or dry the towels?
I use a natural shammy to dry my car and i use MF towels to wipe the wax off of it. I You should definitely wash and dry them like regular towels to make sure you get the dirt out of them. scratching the paint is no fun. make sure u use a plain detergent.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

No fabric softener on microfiber, that means dryer sheets too. i bought some form chemical guys for like $19 for 12, they are nice. I was disappointed to see that they had tags sewn in though and they didn't show that in the pic. they are nice enough quality, but tags will scratch. They are infinitely better than the crap towels at walmart though. i also bought a wooly mammoth microfiber drying towel form chemical guys. if you want awesome quality, crazy thick microfiger that wont scratch anything Adam's polishes has these white ones that are like $24 for two. They are thicker than six of those crap walmart towels and thicker than three of the chemical guys towels. I love that frackin wooly mammoth towel though, that thing is epic. I also bought one of the $35 blower dryrs at chemical guys, it works really well for getting water out of the mirror, lights and crevices. i blow the water off them use the mammoth towel to dry the car. crap towels will scratch your car quickly, i found that out the hard way.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:10 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ohhh..my car has orange peel just like every other one out there. Id never use a chamois to dry my car as there is no plushness to them to pull any dirst away and scratch the paint..I use waffle weave towels. I just buffed my car alot to maximize the shine, reflection...so the orange peel is not as noticeable since its much cleaner paint..but I do not have orange peel on the tops its just on the sides of the car that the orange peel is there. only way to remove orange peel is have a professional wet sand the car and buff it back out. you just have to be careful you get someone who knows what they are doing as factory clear coat is razor thin.

here is an older pic but you can see I have orange peel as well

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-07-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
ohhh..my car has orange peel just like every other one out there. Id never use a chamois to dry my car as there is no plushness to them to pull any dirst away and scratch the paint..I use waffle weave towels. I just buffed my car alot to maximize the shine, reflection...so the orange peel is not as noticeable since its much cleaner paint..but I do not have orange peel on the tops its just on the sides of the car that the orange peel is there. only way to remove orange peel is have a professional wet sand the car and buff it back out. you just have to be careful you get someone who knows what they are doing as factory clear coat is razor thin.

I buffed my car out over the weeknd, it looks 1000% better, but my technique needs work. I missed soem scratches and had a realyl hard time on teh body line around the qtr windows. i need some pads smaller than teh 5.5" ones adams uses. Im planning a coat of adam's americana wax this weekend and ill toss up some pics.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
No fabric softener on microfiber, that means dryer sheets too. i bought some form chemical guys for like $19 for 12, they are nice. I was disappointed to see that they had tags sewn in though and they didn't show that in the pic. they are nice enough quality, but tags will scratch. They are infinitely better than the crap towels at walmart though. i also bought a wooly mammoth microfiber drying towel form chemical guys. if you want awesome quality, crazy thick microfiger that wont scratch anything Adam's polishes has these white ones that are like $24 for two. They are thicker than six of those crap walmart towels and thicker than three of the chemical guys towels. I love that frackin wooly mammoth towel though, that thing is epic. I also bought one of the $35 blower dryrs at chemical guys, it works really well for getting water out of the mirror, lights and crevices. i blow the water off them use the mammoth towel to dry the car. crap towels will scratch your car quickly, i found that out the hard way.
just a heads up on the thickness stuff. The really thick stuff like the wooly mammoth of the Adams ones you are talking are really only good for using to Quick detail the car. they are not good at all at removing polishes or waxes because they are to thick and the fibers are not stiff enough. the Elite towels from chemical brothers are AWESOME..I have a bunch of them..they have a long nap side thats perfect for quick detail..and a shorter nap side that is great for removing polish and waxes. and they will not scratch the paint. Ohh the tags are no big deal...just grab them real close to the edge on the towl and pull evenly on it..not a hard rip..and they will tear out leaving no trace behind.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-07-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
I buffed my car out over the weeknd, it looks 1000% better, but my technique needs work. I missed soem scratches and had a realyl hard time on teh body line around the qtr windows. i need some pads smaller than teh 5.5" ones adams uses. Im planning a coat of adam's americana wax this weekend and ill toss up some pics.
you might not get EVERYTHING...I did not remove everything..I have some RIDS(random isolated deep scratches) some of these are just to deep for polish and need to be sanded..I am not doing that so I can live with one here and there that i dont really even notice half the time.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
a_guerrajr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Teggsan
Orange peel is there to stay, unless you repaint. I have it on my car too, worse than I would like.

For the microfiber towels, just throw them in the dryer.
research first please.

orange peel can be removed by wet sanding. Even a compound, polish, finish polish job on a paint removes a lot. however wetsand will remove it. no need to repaint, actually repaint can leave it just as bad or worse.

MF towels require MF detergent if you want them to last, and i wouldt recommend drying , i air dry mine. if so then low heat.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, guys.

I guess I will try calling a detail shop to see if they do something that deals with orange peel, since apparently something can be done to minimize it.

As for microfiber towels, I guess I will dry them with a dryer on low heat. I think the one I have has the function to only blow cool air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about paint/MF towels