Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

got some L stripes - pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

I like it. White looks so good on Kona. Maybe change to white spear stripes and add a white spoiler?

But for some reason, it looks a little off to me, maybe because the diagonal part and the horizontal part are similar width. Personally, I would go with theAce's L stripes
Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 AM
swagfu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KonaStangPete
one marker did all 4 for me, word of advice tho, dont layer it on too much at once, i did that cuz i was trying to get it to cover the ridges inside the letters and it started cracking real bad the next day.
I actually have tire paint that I am considering, but I think the stick might be easier. I am goint to head to hobby lobby before work today to get some sticks. I will be doing this on Sunday as I am going back to the stock wheels/tires and the tires are currently off the car. I love me some white letter tires!!!!! LOL...
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys, sorry I havn't replied. I been sick, how is everyones tire stuff holding up with the hobby lobby stick?

Yes, I suggest buying 2 sticks, one stick did all 4 tires for me, but it depends on how much you layer it on.

Also, you can still use tire shine stuff on your tires with these letters painted on, I put some on and it still looks great.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:09 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by theACE
Hey guys, sorry I havn't replied. I been sick, how is everyones tire stuff holding up with the hobby lobby stick?

Yes, I suggest buying 2 sticks, one stick did all 4 tires for me, but it depends on how much you layer it on.

Also, you can still use tire shine stuff on your tires with these letters painted on, I put some on and it still looks great.
how did you get the paint into the valleys of the ridged lettering. half of mine are great and the other half is cracked and whatnot, i dont get it
Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Well, the first coat I did, I just put the paint on the ridged section. I then let it dry like 20 minutes or so, then smeared on some more white until it filled in the valleys and stuff. It hasn't cracked at all for me, a few ,very little, tiny spots are peeling off, but that is just fine with me.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM
swagfu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011Kona3.7L
I'm in the process of doing this, 13/16 finished when my stick ran out, buy 2 just to be sure. plus any left can be used to touch it up should it fade.
Any pics of the completed project?

I will be doing mine tomorrow and already have two white and one black pint pen. I have been wanting to do this since I got the car, but was really concerned about how it holds up. I can always touch it up as time goes by since we now know how inexpensive it can be.

I still wish a tire company would come out with the white letter tires again though. I think they would sell a bunch of em.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 PM
swagfu
2nd Gear Member

OK, so after about 6 hours here it is.

I think the white letters really add to the car. Here is the problem. I used actual tire paint. Once they were on the car, and dried for about an hour out in the sun, I took it for a drive and half the letter blew off..... So for now, I am back on stock wheels and tires with no white letters. At least they were on long enough for the pictures. I must have not gotten the tires all the way clean before we started. Just goes to show how important the prep work is. I am not sure I will try again or not.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:58 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swagfu
OK, so after about 6 hours here it is.

I think the white letters really add to the car. Here is the problem. I used actual tire paint. Once they were on the car, and dried for about an hour out in the sun, I took it for a drive and half the letter blew off..... So for now, I am back on stock wheels and tires with no white letters. At least they were on long enough for the pictures. I must have not gotten the tires all the way clean before we started. Just goes to show how important the prep work is. I am not sure I will try again or not.
damn that sucks, pretty much same with me first time as well, paint on rubber cracks in like a day, go grab some of the deco color id stick, it'll take half the time and stay on longer
Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
swagfu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KonaStangPete
damn that sucks, pretty much same with me first time as well, paint on rubber cracks in like a day, go grab some of the deco color id stick, it'll take half the time and stay on longer
I have the color stick, but it didn't work like I had hoped it would. It was too fat to use acurately in the small spaces. Do they make a thinner stick that would work? I really loved the look while it lasted.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swagfu
I have the color stick, but it didn't work like I had hoped it would. It was too fat to use acurately in the small spaces. Do they make a thinner stick that would work? I really loved the look while it lasted.
same, when i first got it i was like wtf, but its the only thing i've tried so far that actually works kinda well, you just have to be very careful with it