Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

NEED HELP ON COLOR CHOICE BLUE/BLACK

Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

I was leaning toward Kona Blue or Candy Red when i got mine but it seems the 2011 production had run it's course and they were only making 2012's in May of this year.
I looked for a couple months,Indy,Chicago,all the local dealers.I found that most of the color selections came only with v6.Also i had a few requirements that also limited me.Black dominated the market.The dealers i talked to said pretty much the same,whats out there is whats out there,production ended.
I did find a Kona one but dealer did not want to deal and would not honor X plan pricing and basically asked me to leave! lol
Interesting about problems with the blue,was the also the first i heard about problems.
I really like my black but detailing it is so much work.I can spend 4 hours waxing the car,starting at the corner and working my way around,only to find out when i get back around,i can see a layer of dust on the fender i started on!
I have spent so much money on cleaning supplies,top name stuff,not Walmart or local parts stores,like waffle towels,drying pads,microfiber towels,foam gun,grit guards and another bunch of money on top name products like detailers,waterless wash sprays,clay bars,glazes and wax.I spent $65 for a can of wax alone.I've watched several videos on the proper way to wash a car,wax it and maintain it.
I keep it in the garage all the time.Only time it sits out is at work.If i drive it home in the rain,i dry it before i go in.I will park it for winter.
Still after all this,i am starting to see a few swirl marks and fine scratches.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

i think i'll keep it short and sweet too...Black !!!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:11 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2010 kona blue. It's hard to keep clean, but not a hard as black. I think any color is hard to keep clean if you want that showroom look. I've giving up on trying to keep my car looking like new, it's really impossible unless you wash and wax it every week and who has time for that. I wash mine twice a month and wax about 2 or 3 times a year. From a small distance it still looks new after almost 2 years, but up close there are a couple of blemishes but nothing major. Plus the kona has a purlpleish look a night.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Black

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
swagfu
2nd Gear Member

I vote Kona.......
Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Kona is beautiful, but Black is more aggressive.
If this is going to be your DD for multiple years, you might want to consider a lighter color.
Just because they are so much easier to take care of and show less imperfections.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 AM
justang123

thank you all for ur opinions. i am going to the dealers tomorrow and am seeing my choices. i am just getting the base v6 no premium add ons. black is DEFINITELY sexy but the point of a mustang is to be UNIQUE. i could get any rice rocket in black. only ford gives the option of kona blue. but aftermarket parts will definitely be costly to paint. also cleaning is going to be a bummer either color.

and grabber blue seems more of a ladies color in my opinion.
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A STERLING GRAY????????????
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

If Sterling Grey was an '11 color, you could buy an '11 V6.. maybe you could get more options on a slightly used Mustang too.

Just giving you a heads up, Kona Blue is the most popular color I have seen on new Mustangs, besides GB. So if you are going to be more unique it might not be the right color.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 AM
justang123

locally i only know where 1 owner of a kona and 5 of black. idk but either way the mustang is a great machine, so not much time whining about the color. the sterling gray was my primary choice as u may have already read, but i am seroiusly still stuck between the 2 colors... i really dont want to regret my desicion!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:33 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I vote for BLACK. However, I live in South Carolina where we get lots of sunshine and the weather is kinder to that color.

Last edited by kzonts; 08-10-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEED HELP ON COLOR CHOICE BLUE/BLACK