Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Hood decal application

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

Default Hood decal application

hey guys...wanted to post about this decal I recently bought on ebay

for those of you who dont know, they go on the sides of the "bump" on the hood and stop where the bump stops.

now i want to put em on soon so can anyone give me step by step detailed advice on install? youtube videos can only go so far...i was told by a vid to use soapy water...does this literally mean ANY soap and water? i know i first clean the hood completely and then apply said soapy water then peel the decal off...will there be a sticky side after i peel it? then im supposed to "slide" it into place and use more soapy water on top of the decal in order to avoid damaging it while i squeegie away all imperfections. then what i literally just peel it off slowly?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

It's just vinyl, right? Easiest way is to get some masking tape (maybe an inch thick).

Put it where you want it, tape all along the top so the vinyl (with backing still attached) can hinge up on the tape.

If it's one solid piece it's going to be harder, with words you can kind of chop up the decal and put it down a piece at a time.

Just use regular water in a mist bottle or on a sponge. Get the area soaked real well.

Pull the backing and put it down with a squeegee. Top to bottom, kind of working with the tape hinge to keep it set.

Work the bubbles down to the bottom and out....take off the tape and let it dry.

Let's see pics when it's done, I've been looking at something similar...a greyscaled realistic flame so it looks like vapor/smoke.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

so no soap? if i can ill do it tonight
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Maybe a couple drops of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle, it's only to make the vinyl slippery when you're getting it into position.

Get a good hard edged squeegee...that's probably your most important item. It's not too tough, getting bubbles out of a narrow piece shouldn't be that bad.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

thanks so much we'll see how it goes...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

half and hour, 3 cotton cloths, and 2 almost heart attacks later here it is!

im so proud of myself! pics look terrible bc its a phone and at night....i did a pretty great job and it looks very solid up close in person...everything lined up beautifully thanks to my eye sight....thanks a lot for helping me out vapor
Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

Looks good...get some outside pics from a distance! I am deciding on doing just eh side stripes as you did or doing the top stripe (Like BOSS)......just not gonna do both I don;t think!?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

misunderstood you, yeah dont do them both just picture in your head each one and choose, but these imo are cooler than the top boss stripe. and this weekend when i can ill get up on a ladder and take a pic from a nice view with my camera for yall to see (and me!)

Last edited by StangisSwag; 09-30-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

heres the photo i promised

Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

That looks damn good man and fits well with your theme!

Quick Reply: Hood decal application