Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Matte Black Roof Vinal???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
treborwd22

Default Matte Black Roof Vinal???

OK... before I go and do this I was wanting some opinions. I have a 2010 Black GT and have added matte black hood spears, side rocker stripes, and the trunk lid. I am thinking about getting the roof done in Matte Black.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 PM
treborwd22

Here are a few pics of my 10 GT......

Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Honestly I dont think it would be really noticeable. I was thinking the same thing if I were to get a black GT but dont think it would stand out enough to spend the money on.

I plan on getting it done if I get either the white or red gt/cs I am looking at though. Any idea on how much it costs?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 PM
treborwd22

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Honestly I dont think it would be really noticeable. I was thinking the same thing if I were to get a black GT but dont think it would stand out enough to spend the money on.

I plan on getting it done if I get either the white or red gt/cs I am looking at though. Any idea on how much it costs?
I should hear back sometime tomorrow about the cost. Ill update when I find out. Im not looking for noticable. Thats why I want matte black. Just enough change to give the car a different look.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

My opinion should'nt really matter at all. Its really up to what you want. I'm sure it would look great and if it isnt that expensive I would do it, but if its more than $100 it would be a waste if people arent going to notice it.

Let us know how everything turns out
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 AM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

I was actually thinking of going a similar route, but maybe doing a matte carbon fiber vinyl on the roof. Can't make up my mind though. When you say you did your decklid, do you mean the entire thing, or just the back panel(pics??)? Let us know what you decide, I wanna see a matte roof on black.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 AM
treborwd22

Originally Posted by HOTRODD77
I was actually thinking of going a similar route, but maybe doing a matte carbon fiber vinyl on the roof. Can't make up my mind though. When you say you did your decklid, do you mean the entire thing, or just the back panel(pics??)? Let us know what you decide, I wanna see a matte roof on black.
Here is a pic.... Just relized I took the above pics before I put on the back vinyl.....

Old 10-21-2011, 04:34 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

This is just MY personal opinion so take it FWIW. It's coming from a guy who's last 4 cars were black.

I personally wouldn't do it. I think the 'ghost stripes' are cool but I don't think you notice the decklid or the roof enough to bother with it on a black car. Also, you might have better water than I do...but I wouldn't want to deal with washing and having to dry a flat black roof. I could picture it waterspotting worse than the shiny black paint which is bad enough! If you get waterspots on black paint you can detail it and get rid of them; seems like it would be more difficult with a vinyl decal. Plus, that's one part of your car that potentially sees the most sun/heat/UV. In 5 years (if you keep your car that long) it could start looking like crap. -Just my 2cents.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
This is just MY personal opinion so take it FWIW. It's coming from a guy who's last 4 cars were black.

I personally wouldn't do it. I think the 'ghost stripes' are cool but I don't think you notice the decklid or the roof enough to bother with it on a black car. Also, you might have better water than I do...but I wouldn't want to deal with washing and having to dry a flat black roof. I could picture it waterspotting worse than the shiny black paint which is bad enough! If you get waterspots on black paint you can detail it and get rid of them; seems like it would be more difficult with a vinyl decal. Plus, that's one part of your car that potentially sees the most sun/heat/UV. In 5 years (if you keep your car that long) it could start looking like crap. -Just my 2cents.
+1 ^

The roof probably takes more of a beating and a whole lot less cleaning (inconvenient to reach some spots).

As he said, washing and drying + waterspotting = you taking it off after 2 months.