Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Rear Wheel Offsets on a 19x10.5 Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WILECYOT
I'm starting to wonder if anyone in the domestic world understand what I mean by offset....

When you buy a wheel it's not just a 20x10.5 wheel and they're all the same. You have a lot of different things to think about, especially when running big brakes. Offset is VERY important when trying to get proper fitment of the wheels in relation to the fender. I know the whole hellaflush thing is retarded, I'm not the biggest fan of it but I do like my wheels to be flush with the fenders. I don't want them to be sunk in an inch, hell I don't want them sunk in ANY at all if I can help it.
How condescending can you be?
That's an awesome way to get people to help you out, you tool.

There are many many people on here with serious knowledge and experience in wheel spacing and setups. But when you come out with attitude like that don't be shocked when no one steps up to help. Anyone who has done any sort of tire/wheel fitment knows what offset it is.

Here is a plan, if you are so superior in your knowledge; why don't you break out some tools, take some measurements and do the f*ing math?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM
WILECYOT

Well someone pissed in your cheerios this morning. Sorry about that, I hate it for you.

Before you come in here cursing at me and saying that I'm doing things I'm not take a chill pill dude. Not looking to **** anyone off here.

I didn't come out with an attitude at all. Maybe it seemed that way through words, I apologize.

I also never said I was superior in knowledge, I am an engineer and that has to count for something, but I'm by no means "superior" to anyone. Just different in my thinking.

I know the width I want can fit, I just need to figure out what offsets I need for the fender clearances I'm looking for. I guess I should have said I wanted people to post up there flush wheel specs followed by a picture. Is that a better question to ask?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Nope, no cheerios this morning, oatmeal actually, and it was quite tasty.

Several people have offered thoughts on offset for you up thread, you didn't like what they had to offer, no problem there. But when you start to wonder (in print) if you are the only one here who knows what offset is and how it relates to fit you come across as a pompous ***.
I know I jumped on you, I am just tired of people coming in here, asking for advice, getting advice and then pissing on the people here who do spend considerable time helping others out. I see it all the time and it rubs me the wrong way.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
WILECYOT

Nah man, I understand what you are saying. I guess the reason I wasn't happy with what they were saying is their answers didn't clarify wheel fitment in relationship to the quarter panel or fender. I know a 19x10.5+22 will fit up front no problemo. The problem is a 19x10.5+22 doesn't fit so well in the rear, has too much poke. Someone posted up a thread about making stickies on tire fitment so maybe that will be a good resource to end threads like mine, I can just go in and browse around.

I know exactly what you mean about people offering up information, good information and then getting pissed on because it isn't what the OP wants to hear. I'm not trying to do that and I apologize if it seemed that way. I just want better clarification, documentation, etc etc. If that makes sense.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Makes perfect sense to me. To give you a heads up on that pic you posted. It looks like he is running pretty aggressive camber on the fronts and if you notice the bottom sticks out pretty far, and even the top of the wheel is a little beyond flush. If you are not going to be running that much camber then you are going to need to bring in the wheel a little more.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
WILECYOT

I like having a little camber, his is a bit substantial as you have mentioned. I really wish these cars had IRS so that I could run some camber in the rear. I do like the negative camber look but I don't want to be too drastic with it. If the car I posted the pic of had IRS it could add some negative camber and easily fit those wheels and tires. I need to figure out what size tires he was running. I think that will help me as well.

The company, Varrstoen, that makes those wheels offers a +30 offset instead of the +22. Those wheels are 18x10.5 +22 all around. I think the 19x10.5 in a +33 will fit a lot better in both front and rear.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

+33 will still be too aggressive for a 10.5, it'll still poke, and varrstoen are cheap knock offs.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
WILECYOT

I meant +30

I want proof as to why you think the +30 (or +33) will be too aggressive? From what I tell looking at the picture the car is running a tire that is bubbling outward. This makes me believe the tire is wide enough that it actually sticks out beyong the rim a bit. A smaller width tire would allow me to clear better...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

If you knew the dimension from the hub to the edge of the fender it would be very easy to figure this out, no? Just pop off a wheel, and use a plumb bob (or a rope with a weight tied to one end) and measure. Then, the sizing you need would be the offset minus half the wheel width, correct? Seems like a 15 minute job with 2 tools and an excel spreadsheet to cover many width and offset combos.

Edit: so for instance, if that happened to be 7 inches from hub to fender, with a 10.5" wheel you would have X - (10.5/2) = 7
So, X - 5.25 = 7, and X = 1.75" which is roughly a 44mm offset.

Last edited by rdsx18; 01-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
WILECYOT

I was hoping someone had a wheel with an offset that was literally the widest you could go and it fit. If I knew that I could determine all this. I was trying to skip the plumb bob part.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Offsets on a 19x10.5 Wheel