Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Plasti Dipped my Wheels & Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Default Plasti Dipped my Wheels & Emblems

For this project, I used 2 and a half cans of Plasti Dip even though I ordered 5... There are 5 coats total each wheel, and only 3 coats for the emblems as I started to over spray between the trim on the rear emblem and a little bit of drip as well. I also didn't remove my wheels because I don't have my jack stands anymore, plus I'm a lazy person, but the time it took me to clean and mask off all the rotors & calipers, you might as well take the wheel off.

Masked

1st coat

2nd

3rd

4th

5th and final coat

End result:

Grille Pony

Rear Emblem

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND masking off the rear emblem!!! Yes you can rub the plasti dip off, but that's only easy when you have lots of layers to rub off. Little itty bitty over spray took me FOREVER to get off! I tried using my skin, then I used rubber gloves which was a little better, but the gloves started tearing, so as a last resort, I grabbed a can of WD40 and the Plasti Dip came off right away... BUT the WD40 was a pain to get off my paint! I tried detailing spray, windex, and car wash soap, but I could still see a rainbow film of oil all over my trunk!

You don't have to mask off the emblem perfectly, just create a box for it to sit in so when you do peel off the plasti dip, you have a thick easy layer to peel off.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Wheels turned out great! Always wanted to try doing mine.

When I did the rear emblem, I just sprayed the inner circle & pony. Left the outer ring chrome. I have a black-out panel, so all black might flow better.

Last edited by BKamp613; 03-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Why can't I edit my posts? Anyways, I'm waiting for my can of Plasti Dip Glossifier to come in, because I want the glossy look.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Fonzie knows his plasti-dip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCtkVePX_0

Just curious, did you have to peel the dip off your tires, I see you didn't tape off the tires themselves?

Last edited by JayyVee; 03-28-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Fonzie knows his plasti-dip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCtkVePX_0

Just curious, did you have to peel the dip off your tires, I see you didn't tape off the tires themselves?
I didn't tape them because Fonzie told me not to since the tires naturally flex. I just wish I watched his emblem video! ARG!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but you left the lug nuts on and sprayed over them, I would expect the Plasti Dip to tear and pull as you loosen the nuts unless you have a way to get in there and cut the coating at the seam first.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stepqhen
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but you left the lug nuts on and sprayed over them, I would expect the Plasti Dip to tear and pull as you loosen the nuts unless you have a way to get in there and cut the coating at the seam first.
I'm not concerned about the lug nuts. I expect the plasti dip to wear off the nuts over time as wheels get rotated. I just really didn't want to go through the frightening process of putting my entire vehicle on jack stands again.

Also, the over spray on the tires are coming off on their own. You can see some of it peeling off as I was spraying the 5th coat.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Now that looks really good! Makes me wanna plastidip my wheels now.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
I'm not concerned about the lug nuts. I expect the plasti dip to wear off the nuts over time as wheels get rotated. I just really didn't want to go through the frightening process of putting my entire vehicle on jack stands again.

Also, the over spray on the tires are coming off on their own. You can see some of it peeling off as I was spraying the 5th coat.
Putting your car on jackstands is a frightening process....? Explain...
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
WesleyEng.com
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Putting your car on jackstands is a frightening process....? Explain...
For 1, I used the thin rails that ended up bending as I was jacking up each corner. I probably did something wrong along the lines of the entire process and I did not want to go through all this trouble again.

It's pretty ****ing scary seeing your car up on 4 tiny stands.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dipped my Wheels & Emblems