Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

StangMods Issue with Halo Projectors, Question about American Muscle Halo Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Default StangMods Issue with Halo Projectors, Question about American Muscle Halo Projectors

What's up everyone?

I just purchased some Gloss Black halo projectors for my 2010 Mustang from StangMods and had them installed on Saturday. Long story short, unfortunately I'm going to be returning these back to StangMods. First off, StangMods has been helpful so I'm not blaming them, I figure it's a manufacturer defect but it's just unacceptable. Right when the headlamps were installed the halo surrounding the high beam didn't light up, second thing we noticed was the WHOLE housing (low beam & high beam) was completely loose. What I mean is, when I was switching out the bulbs I was able to shake the whole housing, and both projector and housing of the high beam were completely loose and moving around everywhere. Also, the shop was having issues aligning the beam. This is just horrible and I'm very disappointed by this because I really love the look of these halo projectors and really wanted to keep them. I just got off the phone with a rep from StangMods and I'm going to be returning these and getting a credit for what I've spent Unless, there is a way to guarantee a new set with the housing in tact, and halo's work then that's what I'll be doing.

Now, on to my question about American Muscle, since it looks like I'll be returning those halo projectors, I was looking at getting the Raxiom Black Housing CCFL Halo Projectors. But I hear that supposedly you can't upgrade to HID's???? Is that accurate or can it be done? Because if HID's can't be installed then I don't want these either. Please let me know guys and girls, thanks...much appreciated and thanks for reading. If this is supposed to be in another section I apologize.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

raxiom light output is crap from what I've heard - aside from that, they just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. I would look into a quality retrofitting kit and go that route.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
raxiom light output is crap from what I've heard - aside from that, they just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. I would look into a quality retrofitting kit and go that route.
I also heard the light output is bad, but I figured HID's would make it better. Retrofitting is very expensive and time consuming though isn't it?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10silverstang
I also heard the light output is bad, but I figured HID's would make it better. Retrofitting is very expensive and time consuming though isn't it?
Not necessarily. A few guys on here have gone the retrofit direction and I'm sure they will chime in here shortly. I'm about to get some retrofits since Raxioms have bad light output, even with HIDs.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

This has been discussed many many times:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...ofit-hids.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...endations.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...inished-2.html

Short answer:

Raxiom output bad, even with HID (you can run HID)
Retrofit good, can fit pretty much any budget (if you would have spent the $ on Raxioms anyway...)

I should just put those links in my sig or something...

Last edited by BKamp613; 05-01-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BKamp613
This has been discussed many many times:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...ofit-hids.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...endations.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...inished-2.html

Short answer:

Raxiom output bad, even with HID (you can run HID)
Retrofit good, can fit pretty much any budget (if you would have spent the $ on Raxioms anyway...)

Wow, your lights look great. Thanks for the links...I'm going to message StockD15b right now.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BKamp613

HAHAHA I was waiting on you to chime in and say something like that ;p
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

The Raxiom lights are fine with an aftermarket HID, just want to keep it 35k volts or less. If you go with something more powerful than that, you run the risk of ruining the housing. Factory HID kits won't work, and that's alot of the reason we say "no HID's".

There have been plenty of people running HID's on our stuff for thousands and thousands of miles with no issues.

Hope this helps, but hit me up if you have any more questions at all!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Entaille
The light output isn't great on a smoked set with the standard bulbs we provide. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not what I would want. If you use the upgraded bulbs that we recommend on the product page, it helps out a ton. Enough to the point where I could live with it. Now, if you retro fit an HID kit, you're more than okay!

The real issue is just the smoked lights with a standard, weak, halogen bulb. The non-smoked lights don't have this issue. Hope this helps!

We're sorry that you're not happy with the lights. We'll do anything to keep our customers happy, so just hit me up if you want to exchange/return/etc!

Shane
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
The Raxiom lights are fine with an aftermarket HID, just want to keep it 35k volts or less. If you go with something more powerful than that, you run the risk of ruining the housing. Factory HID kits won't work, and that's alot of the reason we say "no HID's".

There have been plenty of people running HID's on our stuff for thousands and thousands of miles with no issues.

Hope this helps, but hit me up if you have any more questions at all!
Thanks for your input and honesty about the raxiom's but I have decided to go the retrofit route. Can't wait to get those done, hopefully everything will be complete within a few weeks.

Quick Reply: StangMods Issue with Halo Projectors, Question about American Muscle Halo Projectors