Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Car Wash #$%*!# up My Forgestar Wheels!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Car Wash #$%*!# up My Forgestar Wheels!

Pissed off is an understatement. I took my car to the carwash I normally take it to but this time they screwed up. Got the car home and looked at the wheels in the sun and was completely shocked to see the matte black finish was faded and dull looking. They looked blue!! Something is very wrong here.

I've run it through this very well known and established car wash a number of times with the new wheels and have never had a problem. Paul Howey from Howey Industries (who I ordered the wheels from) said they may have put a checmical on that they shouldn't have and now nobody is taking responsibility. The manager said he didn't see any difference in color at all. Ther are a few pics below. You be the judge and tell me if you see the color fade, blotchy, spotted discoloration. I posted a pic of the wheel brand new out of the box for comparison.

If anyone cares to know, the car wash is called Cactus Carwash. They have branches in GA, FL, SC and opening soon in Miami. They are probably one of the biggest car wash franchises in the country.

Anyway, I will be taking legal action against them on Monday if they will not pay to have them re-finished (which Forgestar said they would be happy to do for $50 a wheel plus shipping).

So the moral of this story is if you have matte black wheels or any kind of wheel for that matter, just don't take it to a car wash no matter how reputible they are. I was always told not to take my car to a wash and do it by hand and now I see why.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L...640/wheel3.jpg
Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 PM
SKAR

Have you tried re-cleaning the wheels yourself?

Matte paint is hard to care for anyways....
Old 05-26-2012, 02:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
........... I was always told not to take my car to a wash and do it by hand and now I see why.
Why didn't you follow that advice since you knew it to be true then?
Someone should also have told you that rims are always washed by hand, no matter the finish they have on...

And please tell me that you didn't get your car through a roller type wash because if so, you better check the rest of the car.

I'm assuming that Forgestar uses a single stage paint with catalyst on those wheels, if not, you'll be back in the same boat again and the legal action if there is one to be addressed, should be against them, not a car wash.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Why didn't you follow that advice since you knew it to be true then?
Someone should also have told you that rims are always washed by hand, no matter the finish they have on...

And please tell me that you didn't get your car through a roller type wash because if so, you better check the rest of the car.

I'm assuming that Forgestar uses a single stage paint with catalyst on those wheels, if not, you'll be back in the same boat again and the legal action if there is one to be addressed, should be against them, not a car wash.
Good points here. Forgestar never warned or told me how to care for the wheels.
Asking why I did this even though I knew it to be true is something I can't answer. Ignorance I guess. Why did Clinton mess around with Monica Lewinski even though he knew it was wrong?

Last edited by yankeehick5.0; 05-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SKAR
Have you tried re-cleaning the wheels yourself?

Matte paint is hard to care for anyways....
yep. no luck.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear man, but I never take my stang to a damn car wash. Good luck on your situation.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07GrabU
Sorry to hear man, but I never take my stang to a damn car wash. Good luck on your situation.
I know, I was a fool to do so but it was just out of convenience and in a rush to get it cleaned. I've learned a valuable lesson.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I got a drop of rustoleum on my powder coated forgestars and it took the paint off.

If you want durable wheels i think youll have to choose a clearcoated finish
Old 05-26-2012, 03:06 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
Why did Clinton mess around with Monica Lewinski even though he knew it was wrong?
Because that's what Politicians do...
They know they get away with everything and everytime.

If it's any help, there is a product that you could try and is durable since it's single stage urethane and uses hardener.
If you have access to compressed air and a paint gun you can re-spray your rims yourself and never look back.
It's called "Hot Rod Black" made by SEM.
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Rod-Black-.../dp/B002O0OTTC

Great for blacked out hood, motorcycle frames etc...
There are other brands out there as well but this works fine...
Old 05-26-2012, 03:19 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Because that's what Politicians do...
They know they get away with everything and everytime.

If it's any help, there is a product that you could try and is durable since it's single stage urethane and uses hardener.
If you have access to compressed air and a paint gun you can re-spray your rims yourself and never look back.
It's called "Hot Rod Black" made by SEM.
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Rod-Black-.../dp/B002O0OTTC

Great for blacked out hood, motorcycle frames etc...
There are other brands out there as well but this works fine...
Thanks a lot for the advice. Does this hotrod stuff work for minor nicks and sratches on a matte black finish with a brush? Or do I have to spray it on?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Wash #$%*!# up My Forgestar Wheels!