Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Fun with Plasti-Dip

Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 AM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Default Fun with Plasti-Dip

Sup guys, had the inclination to play with some plasti-dip this weekend. I have to say that it's a little bit harder to lay down evenly than I thought it would be. My first attempts to make a uniform coat were mediocre at best, but I guess it comes with practice.

I've learned a few things from using the plasti-dip. If you guys are planning on using the stuff, here's a few tidbits of information for you. Some of this is self explanatory, but I'll pass it on anyway:
  • Plasti-Dip dries VERY quickly
  • If covering a large area, start from the inside of the object and work out. Leave the edges to be covered last
  • When masking, leave a trailing edge on the tape to have something to pull befoer the dip dries
  • If layering the dip (two colors) you have to have 5 or more coats of the underlying color down to prevent the tape from peeling it away when masking/uncovering
  • If layering (two colors) the top color has to be extra thick so the seems won't show (where the top coat covers the edge of the underlying coat)
  • Cover anything that's you don't want overspray on. This stuff will travel and stick to any exposed surface (in my case, lawnmowers and gardening tools)
  • Best to wear long sleeves and pants when dipping for the first time. Plasti-dip is a real ***** to remove from leg hair (personal experience)

Ok, so enough tips. Here's a few shots of the before, during, and finished product. I plan on getting more material and doing this again, and taking more time to smooth out the lines, edges, etc. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

I like it...Did the same thing to mine a while back to see if I wanted stripes. Did you decide against the thin stripes on the outside? Looks as though you had them taped off then decided to go a different direction.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 AM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

I'm impressed, it looks really good. Well done sir
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uin2it
I like it...Did the same thing to mine a while back to see if I wanted stripes. Did you decide against the thin stripes on the outside? Looks as though you had them taped off then decided to go a different direction.
Yeah, I wanted the super snake look at first, but seeing as though half my stripe came off with the painters tape, I had to go a different direction. I may eventually go with a super snake stripe, because it did look pretty freaking sweet.

Originally Posted by This guy
I'm impressed, it looks really good. Well done sir
Thanks much man, definitely took a bit to even get it to this point. Now that I've learned a few things about layering, I'm going to try some things with the wheels using flat black, yellow, and the metalizer.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Very nice! I can't really tell but did you not go all the way back with the yellow striping? You should take more pics!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
Very nice! I can't really tell but did you not go all the way back with the yellow striping? You should take more pics!
Thanks man. I didn't go all the way back with the striping because I'm going to re-spray the top and back. I think I may do the front again too just to even out the black. When I do, I'll take the stripes all the way back.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Woodys2718

Looks great... how long did it take you start to finish?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Woodys2718
Looks great... how long did it take you start to finish?
Realistically, it should have taken about 6 - 7 hours for measuring, masking and spraying. I changed my mind halfway through the process because I wanted something more than the regular super snake style stripes. also, this was my first time dipping so some of this was trial and error. I easily spent 10 hours to get it to this point. The trick was letting the dip dry and fully set before I sprayed on the yellow.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

It looks nice but I like it better without the stripes.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
It looks nice but I like it better without the stripes.
Thanks war. I always liked the look of a dark grey vehicle with slight yellow accents. This is the first try so the finished product may look totally different. I'm looking at doing yellow caliper paint and dipping the wheels to a flat black to break up all the dark colors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fun with Plasti-Dip