Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Gunmetal plasti dipped rims on SGM?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Rice_Killa
2nd Gear Member

Default Gunmetal plasti dipped rims on SGM?????

I just bought a 12 SGM GT and I'm thinking about trying out the gunmetal plast dip. Seems everyone does black and I've searched and search but can't find gunmetal. I need opinions on how everyone thinks it will look, or better yet if anyone has pics please post. I have the premium 18's.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM
dream74

I've only seen the gunmetal plasti dip on youtube. There's a guy on there, Fonzi I think, who is the plasti dip king. He does whole cars in the stuff. Here's the link to the youtube video. Hope it helps with your decision making.

http://youtu.be/DPNNAC7lOro
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Rice_Killa
2nd Gear Member

Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

powdercoat. : (
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
powdercoat. : (
THIS!

I would say that perhaps plastidip as a proof of conecpt. See if you like the way the color looks, if not clean it back off. If it is then take it to the powder coater and say, make it look like this!. This is sort of what I did. I used Dupont's spray paint for wheels on my AutoX wheels to see if I liked the look. I just sent them to the powder coater for a media blasting and powdercoating in the color I sprayed them. Now I know when I get them back I know they will look the way I want them to on my car.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

They make a gunmetal color now but it seems as though you can only get in online. They also make a silver metallizer which you would spray over a black base to give the effect of gunmetal. I'm actually going to try this this week so I'll try to post pics when I'm done so you can see it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

And heeeeeeeeeeeeere it is...

4 coats of black followed by 3 coats of silver metallizer...

Name:  uF5U5.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  rciR4.jpg
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  y0Wbj.jpg
Size:  139.6 KB

Looks great really pops. Durability TBD.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Wow that looks well done there Widowmaker, great work! Did you take the wheels off or just do them on the car with newspaper over the brakes?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 AM
5.0powa

Durability is ok. I've had mine done for about 200 miles. There's a couple rock chips in it but that's the great thing about plastidip...it's easy to touch up! I'm just overly affraid to wash them lol. Looks pretty good man!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Wow that looks well done there Widowmaker, great work! Did you take the wheels off or just do them on the car with newspaper over the brakes?
I took them off, washed with soap and water, gave them a bath with IPA, dried them completely, taped off the lip and went to town. I very much recommend this over leaving them on the car. It would have been impossible for me to get full coverage.

And it allowed me to touch up my caliper paint

Oh, and to wash them, I use something called "The Absorber" that I picked up at Pep Boys. It's designed as a drying tool, but it's rubberized so it has no fibers that will pull at the plasti. Always work away when crossing edges, and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Gunmetal plasti dipped rims on SGM?????