Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Anybody else have paint peeling on steering wheel controls?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by jrogerbeck
Mine have worn out as well. Went to the dealer on Monday, the service manager took pictures and has sent them off to someone. Waiting to hear thier reply.
That’s great, jrogerbeck! Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by D-VAR
Deysha, Just to be clear, the 19,000 miles car that was 6 days out of warranty was my 2010 Mustang, that I took to a Cincinnati area Ford dealer and was told it was 6 days out of warranty.
I understand, D-VAR. This is why I emphasize on bringing your vehicles in to your dealers the moment you feel/see something wrong with it. For more info on your warranty, please check out your warranty giuide.

Deysha
Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
jrogerbeck

Smile Buttons Fixed

Got them fixed under warranty. Hope the new ones fair better.

Jim
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxmustang
These posts are scaring me. From what I've heard though warranty covers it so I guess I'm relatively safe for now.
Mine would have been covered under warranty if i hadn't traded the car in shortly after I ordered the replacements.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 AM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

I have this problem too
Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by C. Love
I have this problem too
Bring it in to your dealer, C. Love. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.). Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Rios04GT
1st Gear Member

It will eventually happen to all cars, the paint won't stay there forever. I drive a lot of rentals and I see it all the time specially on the music controls
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rios04GT
It will eventually happen to all cars, the paint won't stay there forever. I drive a lot of rentals and I see it all the time specially on the music controls
That's a poor design then. People touch the buttons...they should last beyond the warranty period.

Again, does anyone have the part #'s for replacement steering wheel control buttons?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:24 AM
D-VAR

STANGmole, the part numbers depend on how your car is equipped, (IE:, sync, navigation),

If you have the 4 button cruise switches on the left, and the 4 button sync & radio controls on the right , the part numbers are AR3Z*9C888*BA & AR3Z*9C888*DA, and as I posted earlier, they are a piece of cake to install, took under 15 minutes.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by D-VAR
STANGmole, the part numbers depend on how your car is equipped, (IE:, sync, navigation),

If you have the 4 button cruise switches on the left, and the 4 button sync & radio controls on the right , the part numbers are AR3Z*9C888*BA & AR3Z*9C888*DA, and as I posted earlier, they are a piece of cake to install, took under 15 minutes.

THANKS D-VAR!!!

That's what I have so the part numbers will work for me. Were they expensive, and do they just snap off?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 AM
D-VAR

Originally Posted by STANGmole
THANKS D-VAR!!!

That's what I have so the part numbers will work for me. Were they expensive, and do they just snap off?
I am a former Lincoln-Mercury dealer, and the man that was my parts manager is still in the business, so I get parts @ dealer cost, on the switch with suffix BA, list price was $66.19, my cost was $34.94, the switch with suffix DA, list price was $65.00 my cost was $33.97, so depending on the dealer, you probably won't pay list. I also seen them on Rock Auto, may want to check it out.

As far as installation, you have to take center of the steering wheel out, there are 2 plug like plastic pieces on either side of the wheel hub, just pry them out carefully with a small screwdriver, behind them, you'll find a bolt on each side, after you remove the blots, the center pulls right off, then carefully with a small screw driver, lift up on the bottom of each switch and they will pop right out. Then unplug them one at a time, and they lock right back in with a gentle push. You don't have to disconnect the air bag or horn leads, but I would recommend being cautious, and before you start, remove the fuse for the air bag, (I think it is #10, look in your owners manual, it's labeled "restraint system"), and I also disconnected the battery cable, you just don't want to set off the air bag, so better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Anybody else have paint peeling on steering wheel controls?