Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

To lower or not to lower

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM
IGO 202

I bought a new GT a few weeks ago and like you I wasn't sure especially since I never was happy after lowering my old C5.

I finally gave in and installed the Hotchkis 1.1" & 1.6" kit and not only does the car looks much better the body roll was reduced a ton.

Glad I did mine.
Dan
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
blk12stang

Will probley wait until I decide on what rims I want. I'd hate to get new rims installed and find out that I don't like it lowered. But this will have to wait til next tax season.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk12stang
I guess the old tuner in me is starting to show. I've been thinking about having the S197 lowered. Nothing to aggressive just a 1.25" drop. Just looking for some advice. I'm 50/50 on it and just not sure.
In my opinion, lowering springs are a MUST. Your best bet is to ride with someone who has a lowered Mustang so you can see if you like it. What part of Florida are you in? I'm in Fort Myers. I can take you for a spin if you're nearby.

Here's my setup:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-package.html
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Kill the gap!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM
blk12stang

I'm assuming that the camber will need to be adjusted. Did you all get new camber kits or were you able to adjust the current one? We have a F150 that we just added a level kit to and there is an internal camber kit that can just be adjusted.

Also, my husband (yes I'm a girl that loves Mustangs) has dropped all his vehicles before, meaning he has done the work himself. On the S197 is this something that can be done in our garage? Like has anyone had any big hang ups if they installed the drop themselves? We have almost every tool you can think of.

I've pretty much decided to do the lowering now. I was going to wait until I got new rims but the gap is driving me nuts and I have seen some great pics of lowered S197's on this site.

Thanks~
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Great, I'm lowering mine myself. Just the rear for now, I want to see how that looks 1st.
Also, I can do the rear myself, I also will install BMR lca's and an adj, J&M panhard bar. I
am also really tired of the 4x4 look in the rear. I'll post some pic's when I'm finished.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

I lowered mine yesterday in my garage with a jack and jack stands its not that hard everything is easily accessible I only needed a second pair of hands for about 10 mins when doing the front. I used the MM CC plates on mine took it to the local tire shop and had them do an alignment as soon as I got done. So far very pleased with the ride less bounce, almost no body roll, almost no brake dive, and you can tell a huge difference in cornering. It is well worth it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk12stang
I'm assuming that the camber will need to be adjusted. Did you all get new camber kits or were you able to adjust the current one? We have a F150 that we just added a level kit to and there is an internal camber kit that can just be adjusted.

Also, my husband (yes I'm a girl that loves Mustangs) has dropped all his vehicles before, meaning he has done the work himself. On the S197 is this something that can be done in our garage? Like has anyone had any big hang ups if they installed the drop themselves? We have almost every tool you can think of.

I've pretty much decided to do the lowering now. I was going to wait until I got new rims but the gap is driving me nuts and I have seen some great pics of lowered S197's on this site.

Thanks~
On an S197 which is lowered 1.5" or less, I don't like using camber bolts or cc-plates to reduce the negative camber. The little bit of extra negative camber provided by the lowering springs actually improves grip!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I enjoy winding roads & want more grip!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
vossen wheels
Former Sponsor

Lower for sure!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To lower or not to lower