Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Is my paint ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
krshelbykr

Default Is my paint ruined?

I have a 2013 GT in black. It is the hardest car to keep clean, but I'm sure you guys with black cars already know that. I went about a month without washing it because I just didn't have the time and was very busy. It is my fault for not making time to do it, I know that already. It was pretty dirty and dusty and had the dust in circles from the water spots after rain if you know what i mean. Well today I parked in the shade and started washing. After the wash the car just didn't shine very well so I got out the quick wax and gave it a quick once over. I noticed these water spots that usually the fresh cote of wax would take out. They were pretty noticeable as well. Anyways, these things just won't come out. I read somewhere that is could be that my water from the hose has a lot of minerals and these get left behind when the water evaporates, they say it eats into the paint. I am not sure what to do, the car looks terrible. Any help?

And please I don't want to hear how I shouldn't have gotten a black car. I already know and regret it almost everyday it's not clean.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Try Meguiers waterspot remover, that might help.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:08 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Try a clay bar also and no it's not ruined. Today's paints are pretty hard and durable compared to paints from the 60's and 70's. It just might take a little more elbow grease to correct your problem.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
krshelbykr

Should I try the Clay Bar first or the Water spot remover?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
BLACK-MACHINE
1st Gear Member

go to an rv dealer and get a water filter and potable water hose from them, this will help keep the water spots to a minimum.. also do what the others say and use the clay bar
Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by krshelbykr
Should I try the Clay Bar first or the Water spot remover?
waterspot first, then wash off, then claybar
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Wax does not make your car shine more, it just protects paint. What makes the car shine is polish but polish takes off small amounts of clear coat so you only want to do that when you need to. With a 2013 you do not need to polish that car so don't go do that just thought I would mention that. Wax is one of those things thats turned into some mythical thing everyone thinks makes the car shine but it does not.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 PM
severetitan

Black is just no fun at all. Looks better than any other color when clean though.

If you care about your finish then you'll want to get aquatinted with some basic detailing steps. The Meguiers forum is a great place to start. Invest in a DA polisher and develop your own "scheduled maintenance" program. I personally wash every weekend if possible. Through the week I'll touch-up with detailer spray. About every 5-6 weeks I wax. About twice a year I clay bar then compound or polish (whichever is needed).

Your water spots are easily removed once you find the right product and use the proper technique. Did I mention that black is just no fun at all?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 PM
krshelbykr

I know black is no fun. I have a quick detailer for use between washes but I am very hesitant to use it because I feel like it will just drag dirt across my paint and just scratch it up. So after I clay bar, should I polish it?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Make sure you use microfiber towels and it will be ok. Don't use the same microfiber for the whole car or you will scratch paint. Do not wipe in a circle one direction only.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Quick Reply: Is my paint ruined?