Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Bent 2 rims... Had to buy new wheels...

Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LawfulNeutral
Those looks really nice, good choice!
Thanks, I'm loving them.

I will add another comment/mini-review about these AMR wheels.

Here's the Cliff notes of what happened after installing them: Terrible vibration even after 3 balance attempts and 2 alignments. Wheels eliminated as possible culprit and I was impressed by what the tech said about the wheels. New tires ended up correcting the vibration.

Long and short is that I was having a terrible vibration even after replacing the bent rims. Two alignments and 3 wheel/tire balancing still did not correct the vibration. I ended up requiring replacement of the tires too. Whatever bent my rims effed up those same tires but it wasn't visually obvious. I was worried that maybe one of the wheels was the issue. None of the technicians mentioned that the tires could be the issue, but process of elimination left me wondering if it could be the wheels or the tires. I wanted to rule out the tires so I opted to replace them at Discount Tire with a new set of the PZero Nero's. While they had the old tires removed, I asked if they would check the wheels for any signs that something could be wrong with them since they were a possible source of the vibration. They obliged and commented on how the wheels were straight and true, observed visually with the wheels spinning, and that they were well within tolerances for aluminum rims. They added that they would be alarmed if they were 4oz or more out of balance without the tires. Three of them were within 0.25 to 0.75 oz of being balanced, with the last one being within 1.5oz of balanced.

I can't speak any more highly about the whole buying process and with AM's great price and shipping. The icing on the cake was the great product. I'm a happy camper.

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 11-04-2014 at 07:10 PM.