Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Tips for Changing Window Louvers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Epona
1st Gear Member

Default Tips for Changing Window Louvers?

I don't like that I can't see through my window louvers, plus the color is -slightly- off (only noticeable on bright days), so I want to change them. Already have the new ones I want in mind, just wondering what the safest/most effective way of removing the ones that are currently on my mustang and hopefully not damage the paint on my car or anything? They're held on with strips of 3M tape. I'm going to assume grip it n rip it probably isn't the correct way to be thinking lol

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Epona
I don't like that I can't see through my window louvers, plus the color is -slightly- off (only noticeable on bright days), so I want to change them. Already have the new ones I want in mind, just wondering what the safest/most effective way of removing the ones that are currently on my mustang and hopefully not damage the paint on my car or anything? They're held on with strips of 3M tape. I'm going to assume grip it n rip it probably isn't the correct way to be thinking lol

Thanks!
Hey Epona,

Although I wouldn't recommend ripping them off, the process is pretty easy!

All you need is some fishing line, a heat gun or hair dryer, goo gone or 3m remover, and some patience.

Simply heat up the tape, slide the fishing line in between the glass/paint and the louver. Grab the line on other side and shimmy it through breaking the bond of the tape. You will have broken the pond and the louver should pop right off.

From them, use goo gone or 3m remover and take off all the excess tape.

You're done!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will
Old 07-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Epona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMWill
Hey Epona,

Although I wouldn't recommend ripping them off, the process is pretty easy!

All you need is some fishing line, a heat gun or hair dryer, goo gone or 3m remover, and some patience.

Simply heat up the tape, slide the fishing line in between the glass/paint and the louver. Grab the line on other side and shimmy it through breaking the bond of the tape. You will have broken the pond and the louver should pop right off.

From them, use goo gone or 3m remover and take off all the excess tape.

You're done!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will
Seems simple enough, thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Seems simple enough, thanks!
You got it! No problem at all!

What new louvers did you end up going with?

-Will
Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Epona
1st Gear Member

Haven't ordered them yet, but I'll be getting SHR Flush-Mount soon from you guys over at AM. The fact that they are flush with the car makes it look so much better, and actually being able to see out the windows for once will be pretty nice too! The louvers I have now look alright, but I hate looking back and seeing that black underside and dirty-ish window (just that dust that blows inside the louvers) that I can't get to to clean besides squirting a hose through the louver.

Those ones seem to solve every "issue" I have with the ones on now. Flush mount cleans up the appearance. Replaces the window so I can actually keep it clean, and can actually see out of it!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Haven't ordered them yet, but I'll be getting SHR Flush-Mount soon from you guys over at AM. The fact that they are flush with the car makes it look so much better, and actually being able to see out the windows for once will be pretty nice too! The louvers I have now look alright, but I hate looking back and seeing that black underside and dirty-ish window (just that dust that blows inside the louvers) that I can't get to to clean besides squirting a hose through the louver.

Those ones seem to solve every "issue" I have with the ones on now. Flush mount cleans up the appearance. Replaces the window so I can actually keep it clean, and can actually see out of it!
I like the way you think man!

The SHR louvers should definitely solve that issue and look great!

Make sure to keep me posted when you install!

-Will
Old 07-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Epona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMWill
I like the way you think man!

The SHR louvers should definitely solve that issue and look great!

Make sure to keep me posted when you install!

-Will
Just hit 50 posts, so I guess it's time to ask for a discount code and order these louvers!
Old 07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Be prepared to spend hours removing the residue from the 3M double sided tape, and for blisters on your fingertips. Even trying heat, automotive Goo gone (the Citrus kind as the other one will remove the clear coat from your paint), and alcohol pads, my wife and I spent at least 2-3 hours in the hot sun removing the residue left from my louvers and my rear spoiler. The "stock" louvers had to come off my ROUSH to get those windows tinted, and my rear spoiler was filled with water I could hear sloshing around every time I opened the trunk. I think that process would be worse punishment for prisoners than breaking rocks or making license plates. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. At least the SHR ones don't require the tape and the MMD ones AM sells mount to the windows instead of the body of the car.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Epona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Be prepared to spend hours removing the residue from the 3M double sided tape, and for blisters on your fingertips. Even trying heat, automotive Goo gone (the Citrus kind as the other one will remove the clear coat from your paint), and alcohol pads, my wife and I spent at least 2-3 hours in the hot sun removing the residue left from my louvers and my rear spoiler. The "stock" louvers had to come off my ROUSH to get those windows tinted, and my rear spoiler was filled with water I could hear sloshing around every time I opened the trunk. I think that process would be worse punishment for prisoners than breaking rocks or making license plates. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. At least the SHR ones don't require the tape and the MMD ones AM sells mount to the windows instead of the body of the car.
Sounds like I have a lot of fun in store for me... =\ I was in the Marines for four years, so pointlessly cleaning things over and over for hours on end is basically a past time of mine.

It'll be worth it in the end, though!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:01 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Just hit 50 posts, so I guess it's time to ask for a discount code and order these louvers!
I think so too!

I got your PM and shot you over the code.

We appreciate the business and support man!

-Will

Quick Reply: Tips for Changing Window Louvers?